Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetta1976

stupid wilt :0(

violetta1976
15 years ago

7:00 AM - went out on the balcony to say hello to the clems, because I haven't been home much the past week or so. Everyone looked lovely and healthy. Both Asao have been budding out like mad, and I noticed that they each had a bud that was starting to pop open.

5:30 PM - went out on the balcony to give everyone some water, and saw that one of the Asao completely wilted while I was at work.

Dagnabbit. What a bummer. :0(

Comments (14)

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

It sucks, doesn't it. I had a clematis seedling that was going to bloom for the very first time and it wilted. I have been waiting 5 years for the stupid thing to bloom so I could see what the flowers looked like. It had several big fat buds that would have opened soon and now they are all drooping. It is so frustrating. Well, keep it watered and maybe you will get a few blooms on the new growth this summer.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. It's so disappointing - I thought I was going to get blooms this week!

Should I prune it back and cut off the stems with wilt?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

If it is wilt, the generally accepted practice is to cut off all affected stems and dispose of them.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    15 years ago

violetta - We are having a major heat wave in the Pac NW! After a Spring of unseasonably cold, cloud covered gloom. This severe blast of intense sun is major for all of our plants. I'm hoping my roses don't get sunburned. I watered a lot this morning! It may not be the dreaded wilt, just wilt from heat. Give your potted plants nice drinks early and in the evening. They should perk up just fine! :o)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I've been watering all day and all day yesterday too.

This heat wave after months of worse than normal gloom and cold is responsible.

I would NOT cut this Clematis back yet.

All the blooms on my crabapple dried up, several of my established rhodies too. Even after I've been watering like crazy.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

If the plant is wilting and it is in response to the heat, then cutting back the wilted foliage will aid in the plant's recovery since it will reduce the amount of top foliage that the roots are having trouble supplying water to. Then as the weather resumes its more typical pattern, it will then send out new top growth it can sustain.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whee! Watering it worked! It perked back up again!

Thanks everyone!

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Congrats Violetta, but you know I am big advocate of pruning back clematis. The heat may have exacerbated an existing problem of root to top growth balance so pruning would have helped solve that and given you more vines from where the cuts were made to boot.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the buds on it just opened though! do you really recommend I prune it back? :0(

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I would let the buds open, enjoy them either on the plant or in a vase in the house and then cut them back. If I remember correctly, most of the ones that you planted you got last year so this is the year that they should be cut back to encourage more shoots and root development.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

We went from months under 65* to 95* with no gradual climb in temps. I have no idea how much water I used but I did lose flowers and foliage on quite a few plants. Not my Clems though.

I watered many plants twice a day Fri and Sat

• gypsysunrise
    15 years ago

What does a Clematis with "wilt" look like? I have one that isn't doing too great, and am wondering?

• thenightingale
    14 years ago

Ah, this sounds familiar. Same happened to me Friday with my Silmakivi (group 3), just as it was blooming. nckvilledudes, you recommend just cutting it back to the ground, then? I just posted in another thread @ this, and it seems like a hard cutback is the only way to save it...darn...! Thanks for your help.

• thenightingale
    14 years ago

Oh, one more thing...We have had bizarre weather. A freeze on Mother's Day (2 that week), and then very warm weather for a week, very chilly weather this past midweek, and then it went from cloudy & 60 on Thursday to about a full-sun 75 Friday and 80+ yesterday and today.