Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandarinfish

Clematis ID: Red/Magenta large flowered

mandarinfish
13 years ago

I've moved into a new house and a lovely clematis in the yard has just started blooming (two days ago).

It is red with a magenta tint, and the stamens are yellow with a brownish red anthers, similar to "Rouge Cardinal".

This photo was taken when the flower was just opening, which is why the sepals are still a bit concave. I'll see how the sepal shape changes when it's fully opened.

Any hints would be appreciated!

{{gwi:590912}}

Comments (15)

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Clematis "Ernest Markham"...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernest Markham

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I dunno--could be Madame Edouard Andre? Looks kinda like mine.

Kate

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I immediately thought Ernest too. Before I read Jeanne's post.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I don't know either but it sort of reminds me of Westerplatte.

• mandarinfish
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help, everyone! I think it must be Earnest Markham too. It does resemble Westerplatte as well, but the anthers look more like Earnest Markham.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

It's not a Westerplatte because I have that one and the blooms are too large for it. Jeanne is the clematis Queen, has a lot;ask her how many..I think it was about 30 and I bet she's bought more since I heard that count. Somewhere on this forum or on gardenbuddies.com you can view pictures of her clematis. Maybe on her own page.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Jeanne has more than I do and I have over 60.....:)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Grrr... I was picturing Ville de Lyon because mine is blooming right now, and totally blanked on how Ernest Markham looks. Thanks for the slap upside the head, Pippi, Next time I'll be more careful.

BTW, I have 52 clematis. :)

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

I stopped counting when I got to 100..it just seemed the smart thing to do after my husband said..duh..do you think you've got an addiction going on here?..If we had stock in Clematis we'd be rich..that was 3 years ago....BUT now he loves my clematis and just giggles when he sees a new box arrive and I tell him "DON'T YOU DARE SAY ONE WORD"..cause he knows if he does his "Addiction" to fly fishing rods might come to an end..Just ONE of his fly rods costs over 900.00..

Here is a link that might be useful: Gary's website

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Hmmm, 100 clematis 3 years ago. Let's figure 25 per year? Does that sound right, or is it more per year? lol

Do you think you are over 200 yet? ;)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

LOL I wish I had room for a hundred...

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Me too. I thought of moving several times so I could have all of them. lol

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Ok girls...as you know they say verbalizing your addiction is supposedly the first step to recovery..BUT..this is one addiction that I refuse to recover from..until they pry that clematis bloom from my dead and cold fingers..LOL..hmm..sorta mellow dramatic but that's me ..what the heck..OK..I planted 15 this Spring in my "Miguel Memorial" garden..Veronica's choice with my climbing rosa "Lavendar Lassie" another one (which eludes my mind at the moment..gezzzz..hates when that happens..drawing a blank) with my Climbing rosa "Tess of the d'Urbenvilles" Two Clematis "Florida" behind my birdbath...Two Clematis with Climbing rosa "Pinata" 4 clematis back behind my two rosa "Cinco de Mayo" (which I just planted this Spring..hey yall..I do plant tons of Non-clematis plants each year!)and I have 6 potted up waiting to get more mature in my retaining gardens!! (3 of those are "Cassis") I planted clematis "Ashva" under my Loquat Tree with two others that were already there! ..this doesn't include "whatever" I get when the fall sales begin..I would honest divulge that but I can't forsee an upcoming addictional choice..but it will most probably be "those" which I've had a hankering for and don't have..grrrr..ok let me add that up for "part of this year" since I can't add my fall orders yet..hmmm..15+2+2+4+6=29? gezzz...I shoulda just agreed with you Janet and compted to 25 a year..LOL..oh well my motto is "You only Live ONCE"...thanks girls for helping me "Face" my addiction..believe it or not it put a face to my fun BUT it still doesn't equal up to what dear hubby has spent this year on his addictions..LOL...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

So you are closer to 300 hundred, then :)

I see no point in scaring yourself feeling like someone should put you in a recovery program because we all know that the person who dies with the most clematis wins. lol

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

OMG!!..I don't think so...if I went out there with my calculator I'd probably get a heatstroke..maybe I am closer to 200?..I'm still in the game to see who dies with the most..I don't care if I win...it's the "Journey" that matters..and this one has been one hellofva RIDE!!..How could it not be..getting to meet all of you and most of all learning and sharing a passion that only we can appreciate..whoooopppeeeeeee

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax