Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

please help diagnose yellowing leaves

pieheart
15 years ago

I have three clematis in one raised bed, however, only one vine has yellow leaves, the one in the middle. If all three were yellowing I'd think it was a nutritional problem, but it's just the one.

Here's a photo of the bed:

{{gwi:590931}}

A photo of the yellowing distribution:

{{gwi:590932}}

A close up of one leaf:

{{gwi:590934}}

Any thoughts on what I can do? Thanks!

Comments (21)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Have you checked the back of the leaves to make sure you don't have spider mites or even aphids causing the issue? This spring I have had several clematis infested with aphids that resulted in what you are seeing.

If that is not the case, try dissolving a tablespoon of epsom salt in a quart of water and giving the plant a good dosing to see if that will help. Try giving the plant the whole quart of water twice a week and see what happens.

Just out of curiosity, what is the identity of the two plants that don't have the issue and that of the one that does?

• pieheart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have no idea what the type of clematis any of these are, they came with the house! I'm just learning about the different kinds (A, B, C). I've never had any clematis before, they are so tasty to the deer, but we have a large veggie garden and I moved them inside the fence so I can have veggies and flowers together.

I didn't think of checking for pests, I just assumed it was nutritional but wasn't sure what to do about it. When I googled I got some conflicting info. I will check later this morning and post my findings.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I don't know what this is, but I have one (out of my 100+ different varieties) that gets yellow leaves. It is with other plants that are doing just fine. The variety is Comtesse de Bouchard, I believe. I'm wondering if it is a virused clone. I'll give it another year or so before I move it to a different spot.

Robert

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

I would try the Epsom Salts first ....this is a good page to save in your favs...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Frequently asked Questions about Clematis

• gianty
    15 years ago

Toxicities/deficiencies are usually identified by what growth is affected, old or new. Take a look see at this product. Depending on soil type/Ph will determine which one to use. It's a winner, IMHO.

• gianty
    15 years ago

Toxicities/deficiencies are usually identified by what growth is affected, old or new. Take a look see at this product. Depending on soil type/Ph will determine which one to use. It's a winner, IMHO. http://www.beckerunderwood.com/products/productdisplay.asp?product=sprint330mn

• flowergirl70ks
    15 years ago

I have one thats yellow also, Elsa Spath, and she is blooming now. Would you add the epsom salts to a blooming plant? Could this also be from the cold. Here in Ks we can't decide if its spring or not.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

It doesn't hurt to add to a clematis that is blooming..I've done it several times and it's so kewl to watch the leaves green back up...Jeanne

• gianty
    15 years ago

I'd be careful adding magnesium sulfate. It is only a minor player in the overall role of plant nutrients. It doesn't take much. IMHO if you're always having that same problem with a particular plant then it's just an inferior/finicky plant. Get rid of it. IMHO.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Yellowing leaves most DEFINITELY DOES NOT mean the plant is inferior..it's all about the soil and what the plant ISN'T getting...I have come to the conclusion that my clematis Daniel Deronda gets yellow leaves because of the soil being up against the foundation of my home and that one bed was neglected last year from me adding mulch and compost and it's the only one having a problem...Topdressing your flowerbeds each year with composted cowmanure will solve 99% of the problems..and mulching ..this constant process of the mulch breaking down with the compost feeds the micro-organism and turning the stuff into good food for your plants...along with the Alfalfa Tea...I promise if you follow my regime your gardens will be more beautiful and healthier than ever..I would never suggest getting rid of a clematis of that age!!..To think we wait 3+years to see them really come into their own and then someone suggests ripping them out for yellowing leaves??..I've used Epsom Salts in my gardens for that specific reason and never lost a plant..I would try every avenue possible before I'd rip out one of my beloved clematis..Jeanne

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Say it again sister! I am with you 100% Jeanne.

• gianty
    15 years ago

Jeanne some plant cultivars are just weaker than others. Some are just genetically superior. Jeanne you are assuming alot. You talk about the age of the plant. Where in her post did she give the age of the unknown plant? You can bet it isn't a first year plant. If it was a nutrient problem then why don't the two plants on either side show the same symptoms? Some plants are ph sensitive. I'd check the ph first. Too low of a reading and the magnesiums gets locked out. IMHO

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

gianty....i'm no expert, but I agree with jeanne too...if you keep improving the soil with manure, alfalfa, compost, mulch...the ecosystem that develops will help balance the pH as well.

the clematis that I have with yellow leaves has NO green leaves at all...it's about the same color as that green sweet potato vine...

robert

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Couldn't agree more with you Robert and Jeanne. Compost is the great leveler of poor soil conditions including soil pH and a variety of soil deficiencies, not to mention a lot of soil insect and fungal problems.

• gianty
    15 years ago

You first need to figure out why then look at possible cures. That's just good sound science. Never said compost was a bad thing. Nobody has offered an answere as to why the middle plant is affected and the two right next to it aren't? Did you have a plant tissue analysis done or have the soil tested? If you assume to much you will be chasing your own tail not getting anywhere fast.
    Pieheart, when did you move the plant? How long has it been in that spot?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Compost is most probably the easiest cure there is for most soil problems. The soil may be in a raised bed but that doesn't mean the soil is homogeneous throughout the entire bed, hence the possible reason for the yellowing leaves. If the plant flowers wonderfully well with the yellow leaves, then you may have a sport on the original plant. Depending on the color of the blooms on the plant, you might have something special there. Only one clematis comes to mind that has yellow leaves naturally and that is Clematis alpina 'Stolwijk Gold' PPAF which is a great looking plant that I would grow, but the alpinas don't seem to survive long term in the southern heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stolwijk Gold

• gianty
    15 years ago

nckvilledudes so you don't think that the roots have spread out from the base? They just go straight down? That's why the middle plant isn't getting the nutrients it needs? That'not likley, they're planted to close. Another assumption that lacks good science. WOW!

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Even if the roots have spread out from the base, do you not think that there are no roots that extract nutrients from the soil at the base of the plant? Once again, I am done with this thread because you are not worth the effort! IGNORE!!!

• carolfm
    15 years ago

They are not planted too close. I plant clematis much closer than this without ill effect. Maybe that's because my soil has lots of compost, manure, and mulch. :-). Miquel, it's obvious that some posters just want to stir things up (and not in a nice, or informed way) and make comments designed to do just that. Can you not see a pattern here? Ignore is the best thing to do.

Carol

• gianty
    15 years ago

nckvilledudes you just don't get it. Yes the plants extract nutrients from anywhere the roots grow too. Base or otherwise. That's why I'm telling you that the root system of those 3 clematis in that raised bed have grow together. They do not remains liner size forever they grow. carolfm you missed the point too. I did not say they were planted to close to one another. Why do you reject science as an option to figure out what's wrong?

• gianty
    15 years ago

Pieheart are you out there? How is the yellow leafed clematis doing? What have you done to help it? Have you figured anything out yet?