Houzz Logo Print
kris2001

Pls suggest-Dark Purple clem,big flowers

kris2001
14 years ago

Hi

Pls suggest:

Dark Purple clem (no mix of color),

With very large flowers, Long blooming, vines itself , full sun.

Doesnt matter Type 2 or 3 , this will grow with henryii.

Tks-kris

Comments (18)

• gypsysunrise
    14 years ago

Jackmanii comes to mind - which I think I have in my front garden. *IF* mine is a Jackmanii, it's really a quick growing vine. It has large dark purple blooms, and is readilly climbing a bamboo stake I placed near it. =)

• tepelus
    14 years ago

I have Kacper, new last year so will be awhile before it gets big, but the flowers are a deep blue-purple and get 8 inches across.

Karen

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is President a good choice?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Yes, it is. Much bigger flowers than Type IIIs and is a Type II like Henri.

Daniel Deronda would be my choice but it does have a bit of color variation to it. It is my longest blooming Clematis and is a sport from The President.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,

How will President behave in full sun? Will it fade or be dark purple. I am almost decided on President but have these questions:

1) How would you classify its color ? Dark purple or light purple/blue in full sun?

2) Whats its blooming time?

Is president my only best choice for a VERY DEEP [large] PURPLE?

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

I have the president (I am pretty sure). Very large flowers, not a very deep purple, fades to light purple.

{{gwi:590960}}

{{gwi:590961}}

Sue

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanx sue, Its nice !Have you propagated Clems? I have W.Goodwin if you want.

I have a henryii vining along will goodwin. Wanna move the W.G. elsewhere and replace with a deep purple clem.

If the clem has a faded light color , then I am afraid it may look like the current W.Goodwin:)

There *should* be a large, deep purple full sun clem - wonder if the experts here can recommend!

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Holy cow, Sue... that flower is huge!

What are you using on your clematis?

• eastautumn
    14 years ago

Viola is a deep purple in my garden in full sun.

• cnetter
    14 years ago

I was really impressed with Polish Spirit's deep purple color and incredible vigor, but the flower is small.

My Jackmanii can produce some rather big flowers, but I'd call the color more of a medium purple.
    {{gwi:590962}}

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

That picture was taken 3 years ago so I can't remember if I used anything. I usually forget to fertilize until its too late. I did one year, though, with a water soluble, probably super phosphate by Peters if it was that year. The clem hasn't been pruned in 3 years and its all tangled up and the flowers are smaller. Those were 9 1/2-`10" each, now more like 6". I am going to try pruning and fertilizing after the first flush and see what happens. I will try to get out early next year and prune and see what that does, too.

Can you imagine if I pruned, fertalized, AND watered and did it all at the right times? You know what? I just thought of something. That clem is on the lawn so usually gets scotts grass fertilizer 3 times a year! :)

I have never propagated. It is hard? Are they finicky?

The flowers are dark purple when they are small. The larger they get the lighter the color. I really enjoy that clematis, I think it is worth having, if only for the eye popping size the flowers can get to. People in Hawaii may be used to it, but here in CT we don't grow many flowers that big.

Sue

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow!

My prefernce now is:
    1.Viola
    2.President

Do bigbox stores carry these 2? ever? or any local nursery here in sePA?

• cnetter
    14 years ago

"Do bigbox stores carry these 2? ever? or any local nursery here in sePA?"

I see the President all the time here at Lowes and Home Depot in the Denver area.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I see The President all the time, too. Lowes had Viola last year.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Comparing Viola and Jackmanni-which is darker? and Bigger flower?

When will Lowes get Viola , later or now/early summer?

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

In my area, this weekend is when the nurseries and garden centers are fully stocked. I haven't been to Lowes recently, so I don't know yet, but will be finding out this weekend.

I'm going clematis hunting :)

• roseberri, z6
    14 years ago

My BB stores don't carry either of these, I found "The President" online at Silver Star Vinery, and "Viola" at Joy Creek Nursery. they are to come next week.
    roseberri

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Comparing Viola and Jackmanni-which is darker? and Bigger flower? More bloom/ bloom time?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz