Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radar Love & Kermesina clematis

Posted by summermusicz4ia (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 21:11

Usually see only the more common hybrids locally. But my grocery store just received Radar Love and Kermesina. Noticed the Radar tag is zone 5 & up, I am in zone 4, not too far from zone 3. Maybe my "pile on the leaves" method would enable it to survive the winter here. What is your experience with these? Will they seed everywhere?
Thanks, Marlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radar Love & Kermesina clematis

Haven't grown Radar Love specifically but other tanguticas such as the species and Helios did either sucker and send runners out from the main plant (Helios) or did seed themselves about (tangutica the species) in the garden. Plants will react differently in different gardening zones and situations (see the recent thread on the invasiveness of clematis terniflora) so no one will be able to tell you specifically about them in your zone 5.

As to their hardiness ratings, that is normally not well known either with any certainty. I would think that with adequate mulch Radar Love should be okay in your zone but again conditions vary so much in any one give growing zone that experience is going to be your best advice.

By the way, Kermesina is a clematis that is generaly not mentioned or grown that much in my experience. I have it and like it a lot.

o

Personally I would not plant Radar Love. I had it and finally shovel pruned it as was just a mess of vines with very few flowers.I think Kermesina would be a good choice. I saw it last summer in one of the stores and if I remember correctly it was sold by the time I got back.
If you can find one my all time favorite is Betty Corning. It's a real blooming machine.

o

I love "Kermesina"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here