Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beck_wi

newbie help! my root balls need you

beck_wi
14 years ago

My sister called me today. Her new neighbor is obviously not a gardener and was ripping out all of the previous owners established plants and replacing them with rock.

I could have fainted.

I rushed over there and it was already too late... the jackmanii's were cut down and the root balls were in a dirt pile behind his garage. The amount of spent buds that are now going to the trash pile was enough to bring me to tears... but, heroically I kept them in check.

I saved what I could, but really don't know what to do now. Only one of the eight clumps I got has leaves on it.

My goal is to give them the best start here that I can.... the south side of my house gets the most sun, and it would probably be the easiest place to plant them under something to keep the roots cool.

I only know the basics about clematis so I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for me. Is there any kind of fertilizer I should give them to hopefully give them a good start?? What, if any, additives should I give them?

The only thing I think I have going for me is time, being that its only May.

I had to cut the dying vines off of the trellis' and that almost did me in.... they were sooo stunning last year and now they are gone.

please help my root balls.. they need you. lol

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner