Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for ID of this lovely purple Clematis ...

Posted by estreya (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 22:16

Greetings!

I'm looking for an identification of the following clematis:

I did a little on-line research and found some that look close, but for a novice like myself, it's a tough call. The flower from my bouquet is in the top right of the following:

The flower measures between 6 and 7 inches, and it's in bloom now in the Pacific Northwest. Any insights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for ID of this lovely purple Clematis ...

It could be Mrs. N. Thompson. She is commonly found at local garden centers. Color intensity can vary with weather conditions.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of Mrs N Thompson

o
What's more . . .

I meant to add that if the anthers on your clem are purplish-red, there is a good chance it is Mrs. N. Thompson.

Kate

o
Nice bouquet!

I have Mrs. N. Thompson blooming now in the Pacific Northwest too but she is a lot darker colored. Still, they look very similar and it just may be the photos that vary. She is very common in local garden centers.

The Azalea looks like 'Elsie Lee' or could be 'Rosebud' if it is pink not lavender. Elsie is lavender. does that help?

o

Brilliant! Thank you so much!

As to the intensity of color, yes, buyorsell888, yours is quite a bit brighter. Though even within the same bouquet, containing flowers presumably from the same vine, the shades vary a bit.

I'll check the garden centers this weekend, and may even mosey on down to the Farmers Market to see if the same vendor is there for confirmation. Meanwhile, thank you both ...

o

Clematis "Victoria"?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Victoria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here