Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do??

Posted by not_a_contessa z5b S Central PA mtn (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 22:46

I have 5 Nelly Moser plants in the box I bought at Sam's Club. I want to plant them in a wooden half-barrel. My problem is I don't know how many can go in one planter, or how far apart to space them. I have never grown clematis before so I need all the help I can get.

TIA, Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do??

I'll try anything once, and considered roses an annual until I mastered them. But thats a whole lot of Nelly Moser for one tight spot.
If you really want to plant all 5 in one barrel, it should be a really large barrel. If the barrel is going sit on dirt, consider cutting a significant portion of the bottom out so the roots can grow freely into the ground. You will have to cut drainage holes into the bottom regardless. You will definatly need something for them to climb on. With 5 Nelly Moser, you will need a large something.
Use really good dirt.
Space them equidistant around the perimeter, leave room for something else to shade the bottom of the plants, some groundcover that doesnt have deep roots, not an annual, because you don't want to disturb the roots by having to replant yearly. I use alot of low growing sedums as groundcover because if they grow too thick, they have such shallow roots you just yank them out by the plant, not having to dig to thin them. Good luck!

o

Mary..are these Clematis "Nelly Moser" you bought at Sam's bareroots...Jeanne

o

Jeanne, they probably are bareroots, I haven't taken them out of the packaging yet. The shoots are small and thread-like so I'm assuming they are very young plants.

I really would like to know what the wisest limit should be on the number that I plant in one tub. I'm thinking 3 max, does that seem like too many? I want them to shade a small area of my porch screen from the June-July late afternoon sun. I can plant the rest of them in another place.

o

Jeanne asked you a right question. Those bareroot babies will take a couple of years to get going. And they will require a lot of TLC.

Also, you did not mention the size of your barrel. For a medium size barrel, one Clematis would be enough. Maybe, combined with some annuals.

o

Nelly Moser is a Clematis that prefers afternoon shade. She fades really badly in full sun. She also is not a very big grower. I'm sorry to say that from bare roots you are looking at three to five years before you get much out them. Not really a good choice to shade a hot patio.

I would put three in a whiskey/wine barrel.

o

Thanks everyone for the information, you have answered my questions and so I will make different plans for Nelly, and I will plant Heavenly Blue morning glories in the barrel instead, again.

Mary

o

You will have to soak your bareroots over night and pot up in a 1/2-1 gallon size pot..keep moist so they will thrive..then you will not be able to plant them into your barrel or Garden until the pots have roots coming out of the bottom of the pot..this can take several months...Goodluck...Jeanne

o

Jeanne, thanks for the heads-up on how to get them started!

Mary

o

You are so welcomed..anytime..Jeanne

o

• Posted by katie Zone 8a NoCA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 11:27

I have many clematis in wine barrels. I grow three to five in each wine barrel. They do better there than in my garden.

Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here