Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
not_a_contessa

What would you do??

not_a_contessa
13 years ago

I have 5 Nelly Moser plants in the box I bought at Sam's Club. I want to plant them in a wooden half-barrel. My problem is I don't know how many can go in one planter, or how far apart to space them. I have never grown clematis before so I need all the help I can get.

TIA, Mary

Comments (10)

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

I'll try anything once, and considered roses an annual until I mastered them. But thats a whole lot of Nelly Moser for one tight spot.
    If you really want to plant all 5 in one barrel, it should be a really large barrel. If the barrel is going sit on dirt, consider cutting a significant portion of the bottom out so the roots can grow freely into the ground. You will have to cut drainage holes into the bottom regardless. You will definatly need something for them to climb on. With 5 Nelly Moser, you will need a large something.
    Use really good dirt.
    Space them equidistant around the perimeter, leave room for something else to shade the bottom of the plants, some groundcover that doesnt have deep roots, not an annual, because you don't want to disturb the roots by having to replant yearly. I use alot of low growing sedums as groundcover because if they grow too thick, they have such shallow roots you just yank them out by the plant, not having to dig to thin them. Good luck!

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Mary..are these Clematis "Nelly Moser" you bought at Sam's bareroots...Jeanne

• not_a_contessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, they probably are bareroots, I haven't taken them out of the packaging yet. The shoots are small and thread-like so I'm assuming they are very young plants.

I really would like to know what the wisest limit should be on the number that I plant in one tub. I'm thinking 3 max, does that seem like too many? I want them to shade a small area of my porch screen from the June-July late afternoon sun. I can plant the rest of them in another place.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Jeanne asked you a right question. Those bareroot babies will take a couple of years to get going. And they will require a lot of TLC.

Also, you did not mention the size of your barrel. For a medium size barrel, one Clematis would be enough. Maybe, combined with some annuals.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Nelly Moser is a Clematis that prefers afternoon shade. She fades really badly in full sun. She also is not a very big grower. I'm sorry to say that from bare roots you are looking at three to five years before you get much out them. Not really a good choice to shade a hot patio.

I would put three in a whiskey/wine barrel.

• not_a_contessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information, you have answered my questions and so I will make different plans for Nelly, and I will plant Heavenly Blue morning glories in the barrel instead, again.

Mary

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

You will have to soak your bareroots over night and pot up in a 1/2-1 gallon size pot..keep moist so they will thrive..then you will not be able to plant them into your barrel or Garden until the pots have roots coming out of the bottom of the pot..this can take several months...Goodluck...Jeanne

• not_a_contessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, thanks for the heads-up on how to get them started!

Mary

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

You are so welcomed..anytime..Jeanne

• katie
    13 years ago

I have many clematis in wine barrels. I grow three to five in each wine barrel. They do better there than in my garden.

Katie

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz