Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miracle Gro? Or something else

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 22:47

Okay, so you say I should liquid feed over the summer till August, but with what? I already planted them (still in the process of) with tomato fertilizer.

I use Miracle Gro on my annuals and occasionally on my perennials. Is there something else I should use for Clematis instead of Miracle Gro?

Thanks!
Natanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miracle Gro? Or something else

Personally, I'd skip the MG or any other water soluble liquid fertilizer. If you fertilize in spring with a rose or tomato fertilizer, that's all that is really required. Plants grown in containers will typically require supplemental fertilization through the growing season and a water soluble is best for that (unless using a CRF like Osmocote) but IME, inground plantings do not require copious amount of ferts. In fact, it is my theory, developed after many years of growing and selling clematis, that excessive fertilization results in too rapid growth that is often prone to clematis wilt.

I think we all fall prey to fertilizer marketing campaigns and think that the only way to grow anything successfully is to constantly keep applying fertilizers. Unfortunately, this is almost the direct opposite of what is best for the plants. The bulk of what plants need to grow successfully is already present in the soils -- too much fertilizing creates more problems than not fertilizing at all.

o
RE: Miracle Gro? Or something else

I agree with Gardengal.

I asked you before but don't recall an answer, are these new Clematis you bought mail order in 4" or smaller pots?

If so, you should not be planting them in the ground yet.

I don't think any of us on this board use Miracle Gro on Clematis.....we all use organic rose or tomato fertilizer and alfalfa pellets/meal/tea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here