Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Is this trellis OK for clematis,please

Lyban zone 4
12 years ago

I would like to plant a clematis in front of this lattice fence.

There is some kind of bush there that I am not too fond of. I would like to take that out and put some kind of evergreen bush that does not get too big (suggestions welcome) and then have the clematis behind it hopefully climbing up the lattice.

I am in zone 4 and this area receives sun from early morning till about 1pm.

Do you think this will work out in this area.

Comments (6)

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I forgot the photo.

{{gwi:592085}}

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Clematis vines tend to grow upward but can be trained to spread sideways. You might need to staple some chicken wire to the lattice for it to be able to climb. Maybe staple the wire under that top frame board and bottom board. That's just my opinion. Others may have a different opinion. I don't know why it wouldn't work. I think it will really add to that area. The brickwork pathway is beautiful and a Clematis there would look nice and add color to the area. My neighbor used to have a 6 ft. board fence and she stapled chicken wire across a large area and her Jackamani clematis was always beautiful there.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I agree that you might have to add some wire to help it climb. I have not had good luck with them climbing wood lattice on their own. The slats are too wide for them to grip properly. I didn't know this and had my hubby build me a bunch of lattice for them and it has been frustrating. I find they snap off rather than bend when weaving them through myself.

There are some clips at Harbor Freight, called Vine Clips that are really helpful to clip them to the lattice rather than weave them through. Once you get a framework established they will cling to each other.

I have found chicken wire to have holes too small but others have success with it.

Don't buy a fifteen foot grower and try to keep it that short, there are plenty in the six foot range that would be much easier. Like Piilu. Piilu is a bloom monster that is a compact grower.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies,Pippi and buyorsell, I will look for something that grows 6feet max. And try to find some mesh or wire to staple on my lattice.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I think Clematis vines need their feet shaded so plant some other flowers in front of it is what I have always heard. What about it you go a wrought iron tellis and still plant it where you are talking about. It would still have the lattice work for a backdrop. I think it would be nice there. What about another type of vine that will give you color and a fragrance when you walk in/out of your gate? Look in some of the gardening catalogs or gardening supply catalogs or go on their websites..Plow & Hearth, Gardener's supply, LeeValley has some nice ones. If you could get it locally, you'd save on shipping charges. I saw some at Home Depot the other week. What about looking for something at a Junque shop that you could use for a trellis? You can always spray painted it whatever color you wanted. Or you can buy a brand new one and spray paint it with Rustoleum spray paints. Just a thought. Lots of options..look in some gardening magazines for ideas too.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

No they don't need their feet shaded. They need moist soil and some moron years ago translated that to mean shaded.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler