Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrong PH for Clematis

Posted by shelleyh z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 07 at 22:51

I have a Niobe which is constantly wilting. I just read that Clematis needs an alkaline soil and my Niobe is planted behind 2 Rhododendrons. Could that be the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrong PH for Clematis

According to "Simply Clematis", clems prefer a slightly acidic soil of 6.5 (above 7.0 is alkaline). Rhodos do like acidic soil, so I guess it would be a matter of how acidic your soil is. You might want to check out a clematis website such as http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.cfm for more detailed info. Are you sure yours is getting enough water? If it is clematis wilt, some have expressed that only young clems get it- if that's so, maybe yours will outgrow the problem. Brandy

o

Clematis have the reputation of needing alkaline soils only because the original plants in England were found to be growing in chalky soil. That being said, if you are augmenting the soil with something to make the soil more acidic for the rhodos, then pH could perhaps be causing a problem. Brandy points out another good possibility--lack of water due to the root competition from the rhodos. If the plant recovers from the wilted state after giving it a good long drink of water, I would suspect root competition over a pH issue.

o

I doubt soil pH is causing much of a problem. PNW soils all tend towards acidic conditions, some more so than others, and clematis of all varieties thrive in this area. Plants tend to be much more tolerant of a range of soil conditions, including pH, than most people expect - I've got both lilacs and clematis (with reputations for a preference for more alkaline conditions) growing very well and very happily adjacent to rhodies and other acid lovers.

There is a concern that shrubs (or trees) with wide spreading root systems - like the rhodies - may be competing with the clematis for soil moisture and nutrients. Additional deep watering and a healthy layer of organic mulch plus some additional time may encourage the clem to outgrow the wilt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here