Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

white cematis to go with roses

sue_ct
14 years ago

I am looking for one or two white clematis to plant along side two climbing red roses on each side of an arbor. The problem is that it is on the South side of the house, so they would have to be able to tolerate some real heat (at least by CT standards). Depending on the size I could plant on each side like I did the roses (Don Juans) or just one if it will reach more than 12 feet to cover the arbor. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sue

Comments (21)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Clematis "Huldine" LOVES full sun and would be gorgeous with your "Don Juan"...Jeanne

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Jeanne. I know the old advise to shade the roots of clematis is debunked on this forum, so there isn't anything I need to do to help it survive in full hot afternoon sun? Would any white clematis do well, or is Huldine more sun and heat loving than some others?

Thanks for your help,

Sue

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I have two "Huldine's" and the one in my full Texas Sun does the best...Jeanne

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went looking today and only found one white Clematis locally. It is Arctic white, said to be a group 2 that blooms on old and new wood. Know anything about that one? I may have to find an online source for Huldine if I want that one.

Sue

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, make that Arctic Queen. :)

Sue

• alina_1
    14 years ago

'Arctic Queen' is a beauty:

{{gwi:236421}}

Since it is a group II Clematis, it has all advantages and all disadvantages of this group.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Alina, it looks beautiful. I really don't know much about clematis, so the advantages and disavantages of each group aren't really clear to me yet. As a matter of fact, I only have three, all with no names officially, although people here helped me identify one a couple of years ago as The President, a group II as I understand it. One that I don't still don't know the name of on the other side of the mailbox from The Pres, and that I don't get many flowers from. Maybe it is a group 3 and I should be pruning it? And a 3rd on a fence that I may post of photo of to try to identify. I am in Ct and I seem to find mostly group 2s around here. From The Pres I get one good bloom period a year. The one on the fence usually one good flush of blooms and then a few blooms here and there.

Is there a white that blooms for a long time in Summer so it will bloom along with the red rose, which I expect to have repeat blooms from June through Sept.?

I would like to try a group 3 to see what the differences are.

I do love the way Arctic Queen looks. They are 22.00 or 23.00 each for 1 gallon pots locally and I would need two. Not cheap by any means, but worth it if If I get a beautiful red and white display against my light gray house and black arbor, like I hope to.

I am going to at least check out Home Depot to see what is available before I decide if I want to spend almost 50.00 on the AC's.

My Don Juan roses are own root roses that take longer to get established. This will be their third year (Hopefully the "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap" rule will apply), and the clem will take a couple or three years to do the same, so hopefully will be ready to put on a show by then without choking out the rose. This will be my first rose/clematis combination so I hope it works out well.

• carolfm
    14 years ago

I have Artic Queen planted with Don Juan and love the combination. I don't find type 2 clems planted with roses to be a problem. I just cut the clems at the height I want and then grab the cut ends and pull it out of the rose. Easy and it doesn't bother the rose at all. Artic Queen has a huge bloom in the spring and scattered blooms all summer here.

Carol

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Sue, if you will cut the Clematis vines back (1/2 or 1/3 of the length) after the first flush and fertilize, you will get a second flush of blooms.

$23 is kind of too much IMO... I bought AQ (the one on the picture) at Bluestone Perennials. I bought it for $5 or $6 on their 50% off sale. They send small Donahue's Clematis with very good root system. The picture was taken 3 months after I got the plant and potted it up.

Koi Garden Club sells her at $6 now. Same Donahue's baby. I always had good luck with Donahue's Clematis.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you think I could plant two white clematis with each Don Juan, or should I stick to one? When would Huldine bloom as opposed to Arctic Queen? I might consider a Huldine on one side of each Don Juan and an Arctic Queen on the other side of each one. I guess I better just pick one to start with, until I see how large the Don Juan will get. It is the red roses that will really make things pop and I don't want the rose to get covered or overwhelmed by the clematis. A later spring or summer bloom is also better since we usually don't get our first flush of roses until June around here.

I would LOVE to see a picture of your Don Juan with the Arctic Queen if you have one.

Does anyone grow either Huldine or Arctic Queen in CT or other Zone 6 area that can tell me approximately when they bloom in this climate?

Thanks so much for all the help already, I will have to post photos when the changes are made and they are all blooming.

In order to see this idea of turning this garden into a red a white theme I will have to dig up yet purple and bicolor irises, lavender beauty berry bush, day lillies, and a red knockout rose that is really dark pink. Looks like the women I work with and family members will be getting lots of free plants.

Then I need to visit the rose forum again for more red roses. Not paying so much for these clematis will help fund the additional roses. :)

Sue

• LindyB
    14 years ago

Check out the clematis at Joy Creek Nursery and Silver Star Vinery. They both have websites and sell online. Silver Star clems have great root systems. I've been real happy with her plants. I drive by Joy Creek every day going to and from work so I pick mine up in person. Good sized plants. I bought four there this spring and am real pleased with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I checked out Silver Star Vinery, but two Huldines cost 48.00 with shipping. No more than the Arctic Queens locally, but no less, either. The shipping is a killer.

Home Depot only had one white, Marie Boisselot, also a group 2. I think I prefer Huldine or AC. Is there a double white that is a group 3, I wonder?

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

I would recommend Huldine. Its a great clematis. Very aggressive and vigorous clematis, so make sure you have a strong support and extra space! Here's a pic:

{{gwi:191548}}

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Bellarosa, that is a beautiful clematis. What time of year and for how long does it bloom for you? My ONLY concern so far with Huldine is that it might overwhelm the climbing roses and you would hardly see them.

Sue

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

Sue,

Huldine blooms heavily in June and then intermittedly the remainder of the growing season. It always has blooms on it. I think this is the best white clematis out there, so much so that I have 3 of them! Anyway, I think you might want to reconsider getting Don Juan. I don't think that's a reliably hardy red rose for your region. You might want to consider planting Ramblin' Red or Quadra, a Canadian Explorer rose, which are super hardy.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Too late, I planted the Don Juans 3 years ago. I got own root roses that are very slow to take off but should be set to put out some real growth now this year and next. Because they are on the South side of the house, close to the foundation, is I think why they have survived. The micro climate being near a heated basement foundation problem is the equivalent of being a zone higher. I was only looking for red roses with scent. But if they ever bite the dust I will need to look for replacements.

I am going to be looking for more scented reds that are not climbers for that garden, though. Firefighter bit the dust, but the others are not going to planted near the foundation and so need to be hardier.

Thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions.

Sue

• tambo747
    14 years ago

Hi Sue,
    You asked if there was a double white group 3 in this thread. I just purchased Duchess of Edinburgh. Cut back to 12" in early spring (group 3). Height is only 8ft though, width 6 feet. The blooms are 3-4" in diameter. Very very pretty!
    Tammy

• thenightingale
    14 years ago

Another vote for Huldine! We planted a tiny baby one last year, and right now, it's almost up to the rooftop. We love it, and it sun for almost the entire day.

• msmisk
    14 years ago

After seeing the Huldine and Arctic Queen pics, I'm going to have to get both. They're lovely. Here's Candida, my first clem ever, and my favorite so far.

{{gwi:592467}}

• nwkrys
    14 years ago

Huldine is beautiful and will be covered with flowers. Mine is very thick and comes up vigorously from the gound. I pinch it back to keep it on a medium size obelisk. It does have definite pink stripes on the back and so you need to decide if that's ok.

My Arctic Queen is shorter and I wouldn't put it with a climber. Fabulous double flowers though.

The white I love is Marie Boisselot. She is white with the yellow center. Would really pop with a red rose. She's a group 2 but I treat her as a 3 and she blooms with a fabulous first flush then continuously through the summer. She's an older variety and you might not be able to find her at a local garden center but she is available from Joy Creek Nursery. Good luck!

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you guys! Msmisk, the Candida is beautiful, the flowers look larger, which I like, but boy I hate that name! I do love the doubles and Duchess of Edinburg has always looked so nice to me in pictures. I don't need one that gets too big, the Arbor is only 6-8 feet tall so one on each side would do fine. If they grew over the top a little, even better. But I don't have to have a huge one. As a matter of fact, then I could only use one and it probably would not go over the entire arch top to bottom. I just have to find them and at a little bit of a better price. Even Costco, though, was charging 25.00 around here, although for a larger pot.

I am going to check out Bluestone. Koi Garden club doesn't temp me at all, what the "wheres Jerome" thread. He is apparently so many weeks behind it might be fall before I saw a plant. The last thing he needs is more orders right now. You guys are very patient.

Any other suggestions about where I should look would be appreciated. I am on the East Coast so places on this side of the country would probably be more reasonable for shipping.

Sue

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!