Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Clematis and Lilac tree

miclino
11 years ago

I have a Prince Charming Lilac tree in afternoon sun (not too hot though). Wife loves the tree and I would love to grow a clematis into it. Will it harm the tree in any way? If I do this what type of clematis is recommended?

Comments (9)

• tracyvine
    11 years ago

It won't harm the lilac tree at all as long as you don't disturb the lilac's roots too much and don't build up the soil around the base of the tree. I have a Roguuchi Clematis growing up through mine. Love the bell shaped blooms that nod along the limbs of the tree. :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I grew two different macropetalas through my lilac tree - Blue Bird and Maidwell Hall. I wanted something to offer color before the lilac had anything to say for itself and these are very early blooming clems in my area. Also they require no pruning which I prefer for using large shrubs or tree as supports :-)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Ooh, I've been looking for a spot for my Roguuchi. Our lilac bush is huge and very bushy (10-12ft x 10 ft). Do you think I could put both Rogucchi and a Golden in the same bush? There is also room for the vines to grow into the rest of the lilac hedge that continues into my neighbor's yard (with their permission, of course).

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. I just made an impulse purchase of hagley hybrid from Bluestone's sale. Will part sun be sufficient for this cultivar and will it do well in the tree setting. This will be my first clematis so very little experience here.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats great since the blooms won't overlap with lilac tree.

• tracyvine
    11 years ago

mnwsgal, yes I think there will be room for both to grow in your lilac bush, mine is a tree though and has long limbs that the rooguchi needed some encouragement to climb so I added some treated mesh to lightly wrap around the lower limbs and help the clem grab on and drape where I wanted it to. The nodding bell flowers look so pretty dropping down now that the lilac is finished blooming. You may want to thin some of the bushiness from your lilac so you get to see all the beauty these clems have to show. :)

• rebaru
    11 years ago

This is good news. I have planted a Huldine beside a lilac (that had just been severely pruned) this spring. And a Bluebird beside a Summer Snowflake Viburnum. I don't have a lot of space on walls or fences so I use the shrubs. I have a Duchess of Albany on another Viburnum. this clemaits got so big last year but didn't flower. I am hoping this is the year. Good luck with yours!

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Huldine may eventually swamp your lilac. Mine is growing up a plum tree and has reached the top (about twenty feet) in three years....

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County