Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giovanni2010

Help! I'm new!

giovanni2010
13 years ago

Hello,

I need help on picking the right kind of vine that will flourish in Colorado. I have a few questions maybe you all can help me with:

How far apart should I grow them? I have an area 16ft long and would like to plant a few to grow up the lattice above.

How High will they grow? If I don't prune them will they just keep going and going?

I guess that's it i'm just trying to get a few sugestions before I go to the Nursery and pick something. Thank you!

Gino

Comments (4)

• janni_dk
    13 years ago

Gino, I'm a beginner myself. I'm sure you'll find this forum useful. I recommend using the search function; you'll find hundreds and hundreds of useful and educational posts.

Choosing which clematis to buy can be quite a daunting task, there are sooo many varieties! I've found the following article particularly useful:

Here is a link that might be useful: easy and showy clematis

• janni_dk
    13 years ago

as far as hardiness, height of mature plant, pruning etc, I suggest you go to:

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis On The Web

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Any information from Dr. John Howells is good information.

The clematis vines will fall over on themselves when there is no longer support. There are clematis that won't grow very tall, staying around 6 feet. There is a very good book available on the subject by Ray Evison called Clematis for Small Spaces. There is also a collection of clematis, winter hardy and grow around 6 feet called the Kivistik cultivars. Excellent plants. I will have them all eventually. There is a woman who, last year, started her own business sell these lower growing plants online.

I put a link to her website so you can see the Evison and Kivistik collections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clems for the smaller garden