Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karynmn

Clematis for Mailbox

karynmn
14 years ago

I would like to plant a clematis to gow on my mailbox. What clematis would you recommend? This will be my first clematis planting. I'm also going to be planting one on the other side of the front stairs from the mailbox to grow on a trellis. Suggestions for that would be appreciated as well!!! Thank you all in advance.

Comments (11)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Karyn..I usually always suggest any of the pruning group 3's for newbies...since they are much more vigorous and usually don't wilt...what colour are you wanting?...Jeanne

• karynmn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I seem to really like to blue and purple ones. Thank you Jeanne!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I'm going to recommend Piilu. It is a nice smaller grower that is really vigorous even though it is a type II. It is dark pink/orchid in color.

You might also look at Petit Faucon which is dark purple and type III but not a clinger, you'll have to tie it on. Stays smaller though.

Many Type IIIs grow huge, much too big for a mailbox.

• cnetter
    14 years ago

If your mailbox is the usual height, then I'm going to recommend Cezanne, which is one of the patio series of clematis. Mine got about 4 feet tall last year and bloomed very well. Here is a picture of it when it was still young:
    {{gwi:592696}}

For a tall trellis, I love my Jackmanii, which gets about 10 to 12 feet tall:
    Jackmanii

And I'm really really impressed with Polish Spirit, which is bloom crazy deep purple with incredible vigor. It gets big. I had to give it to my neighbor, but I still get to see it. :-)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I have a question for those that are growing clematis in colder zones like Minn that has a rather short growing season..Do pruning group 3's really attain the heights that are quoted by COTW and other clematis sites?...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Since mine have grown a lot bigger than usually quoted here, I bet they do come very close to those heights in colder zones.

My Cezanne is covered with buds in it's nursery pot. Never did get it planted. Can't wait. I don't have anything that color.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Minnesota is zones 3-4b.

Clematis do reach the stated heights. The biggest issue with clematis is winter die back of the group 2's.

Anyone choosing a clematis should look for group 3s or those in pruning group 2 that can be treated like a 3.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Janet..great advice and info for those in your zone!!..Living in a warmer zone always makes me eager to learn the difference with clematis in zones like yours..thanks..Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I should have added, but I was too lazy to type it all at the time, that not all group 2's die back to the ground every year. Many of the vines on The President and Multi Blue and a couple of others survived this winter.

Nearly all the vines of Arctic Queen survived last year, at least to 2-3 feet, but didn't do as well this year. I don't know why that happened considering there was even vine survival on a couple of group 3's.

Anyway, even though some of last year's vines survived, we had a cold, cloudy April this year, so the plants haven't grown very fast, but they did set buds. The first flush of flowers will be low on the plants. This is why we have to be careful of what we buy and where we put it because you just don't know what will happen each spring - Any clematis, which blooms May-June and again in September, such as HF Young for example, isn't the best choice for someone in the cold zones who is just starting out with clematis. Winter can kill the previous year's vines, and an early frost could crush the September flush. You wouldn't believe how many of these clematis are sold in our garden centers and nurseries every year.

I have a few May-June, September bloomers. They are currently growing in predominant locations, and will be moved out into the perennial beds this year. I don't want to completely evict them from the garden, but they are taking up valuable space and some day might have to give up their place in the garden for hardier plants.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

That makes alotta sense...I can see why Pruning group 3's are highly recommended for colder zones...Jeanne