Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syrinth

Help with basic Clematis care *I hope I didn't mess up*

syrinth
15 years ago

Hello, today I purchased a small Clematis (Polish Spirit) from the local Rona. It has a green shoot with some small leaves about 10 centimeters high.

We planted it in a patch of earth that we had recently removed sod from the top of approximately 5-8 cm away from the wall of our building, we also planted a Chinese lantern plant nearby which will probably aid in shading the roots when it begins to grow. Aside from that, we did not give it any fertilizer, mulch, extra water *down in the base* or anything. Although it should be noted that it rained rather well immediately after we were finished planting. I put a stick beside it and gently tied the Clematis shoot to because the wind was picking up.

What I want to know is, is my Clematis going to be ok? I wouldn't ask normally but I was looking on the internet and realized that I didn't do quite a fair bit of the things mentioned under Clematis care. The hole I placed it in was perhaps 10-13 cm deep, enough to put the soil that it the roots were packed in into the ground and cover up a bit higher.

I apologize if I did something horribly stupid but I have just gotten into gardening. Thanks for any help you can give to me.

Comments (10)

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Way too close to the wall. It should be at least 30 cm (1') from the wall, 2-3' even better. The hole is too small as well. It seems that your new Clematis is quite small. Potting it up into one gallon sized pots and growing it out during the summer will be the best way to handle it. Then in the fall, you will have good sized plant with well developed rootball to put in your garden and get settled in before winter arrives.

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

Dig up that Chinese Lantern plant and put it in a big pot, if you must have it. It is very invasive.

I agree with Alina about the clematis.

Marie

• syrinth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help, I re-potted the plant in a large pot in the back yard, not sure if it's one gallon but I'll check. gave it some good water since it's soil was kind of dried out for some reason. Also had a heart attack because when I got out there it was covered in greyish spots, which later turned out to be earth from the rain we had last night XD

Here's hoping I don't mess up again, thanks. Oh and thanks for the info about the Chinese Lantern, I'm going to have to consider it's placement now...

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Put some mulch around your Clematis. It will help to keep the soil moist and prevent foliage from dirt splashes. Provide your potted plants with excellent drainage. If the soil will get soggy, the crown will rot.

• Freda
    15 years ago

Ok here is something that I do with new clematis that are small. I put them in gallon pots and then bury the pots in the spot which will eventually be their permanent spot in the garden. By burying them it helps keep their roots cool and doesn't dry out as fast.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Good practice Maet. That is a great way to get the plants up to size and minimize the amount of watering you have to do while they are growing.

I must say I do have to disagree with the idea of planting clematis close to a wall. I have quite a few planted mere inches if that from the brick walls of my house and have never had an issue with doing so.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Being planted close to the foundation wall must really help keep those clematis roots cool ;-)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Janet, not sure what the issue is but DofA is one that is planted up close to the foundation wall and it does very well--a monster in blooms and vines. The general thought is that planting near the foundation is bad because the plant's roots will be under the eaves and won't get enough rain. What I tend to do with plants planted close to the house is to water them well when planted and then begin watering further out from the house from then on out. Plants want to survive so will send roots outwards in many directions searching for where the water is.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

No issue Miguel, it was sort of a joke. I was teasing about keeping roots "cool" instead of "moist". ;-)

I never had much of an issue with the soil around the foundation being dry, actually, I have the opposite problem.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Went way over my head Janet! LOL It does seem to be dry around my foundation but the last couple of summers with no rain probably helped that situation out.