Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Jackmanii Clematis help please?

gardenbug
13 years ago

I planted a Jackmanii Clematis on May 9th (One month ago) My cedar trellis is 5ft' tall x 10'wide. My clematis is growing very fast and has just peaked the top of the fence. Do I need to bend it over so it doesn't keep growing straight up? Maybe tie it so it grows along the top of the fence? Sorry for the dumb question but I have never grown a clematis before and I'm not sure how to train it to grow on the fence. So far, it does not have any blooms (just leaves) Do you think I will get any this year? I noticed a few white flies and aphids on it but using soap and Dawn detergent, I got rid of them and I check it every single day. I also noticed some of the leaves around the base have turned yellow. The rest of the foliage is nice and green. My son bought this clematis for me on Mother's Day and I really want it to grow nice. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments (18)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

What a nice son :)

The clematis will eventually fall one way or another. It helps to run a string along the top of the fence, but you might also have to gently guide it in the direction you want it to go. However, that is easier said than done.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I sometimes gently guide a long stem the direction I want it to go and try to even more gently wrap it around the trellis so that it will stay there--doesn't always work, however, and you have to be very careful not to break the stem. With persistance, it can be directed the way you want.

Kate

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both. Okay, now I get it.
    About the yellowing on the leaves at the base of the plant...is this something I need to address? Also, do you think I will see any blooms this year? Thanks again for all your help.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

The yellowing is probably from transplant shock. Don't forget to water regularly.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

janetpetiole: Thank you. I will water regularly. I hope I see a bloom this summer. I'm anxious to see what it will look like.

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

What kind of fence are you talking about?

If it is like chain link, you can either use twisties or string pieces to get it going in the directions you want.

If more solid like privacy or picket, running a string along the top for as long as you hope it will get will work, but you may have to fasten the stem if it isn't gripping by itself.

I have several clems that grow too tall for their reestanding trellises, so I tie a string or more to the top of the trellis and attach the other end to something higher if possible or at the same level (but often have to duck when passing under the string).

Marie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eden..
    I have a cedar trellis. They seem to be taking hold. I just bought some velcro strips from the nursery this morning. You just cut off the size you want and they seem to be working perfectly.

Does anyone think I will get any blooms this summer? What about the yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant?

I also want to know if Jackmanii Superba is suppose to be a better plant than just the regular Jackmanii? I planted them both at the same time and noticed that the reg. Jackmanii has grown faster and has much bigger leaves than the Superba. Any thoughts on this?

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Superba has a much stronger grower for me, but neither of them are getting enough sun.

I hesitated to comment on whether it will bloom or not because of the difference in our zones, but I'll share my experience.

Jackmanii grew one vine very quickly, set a few buds, then just before they opened, the vine wilted. The following year it did the same. Some might recommend that you cut it back, but clematis cut themselves back if necessary, so you could just leave it and see what happens.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I too have wondered in the past if Jackmanii Superba is better than Jackmanii. After doing a bit of researching, I discovered two different answers.

Some claim that Superba really is superior--bigger, better bloom.

However, I found an article that claimed that what we call Jackmanii is NOT the original Jackmanii, but something much closer to Superba--maybe even the same thing. In other words, what we call Jackmanii and Jackmanii Superba--as found nowadays in garden centers--may be the same plant.

Sorry, that is the best "answer" I could come up with. If anyone wants to experiment by planting both, please do report back to us whether there is any significant difference between the two.

Kate

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I planted each of them within a week of each other, so I be happy to keep you posted on how they are doing.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Great, cadence. I really am curious about it--since clear-cut answers don't seem to be available for some odd reason.

Kate

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

I really like the velcro rolls of tape for my roses, but for the clems I would rather go with the plastic enclosed wire that also come in rolls, with a cutter attached to the packaging.

But this is probably because I have a variety of supports to train my clems to, and the thinner tie seems to fit better with the thinner clem stems.

Maybe I should try cutting the velcro strips in half or thirds widthwise. Never thought of that before. Might cut down on breakage of the finer stem tips, or not, but have to give it a try.

Marie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I cut my old pantyhose into strips. Makes a great flexible tie.

Kate

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far, I really like the velcro strips for the clematis. I'll be using the pantyhose for the climbing roses, since the canes will need something more flexible and heavier.

• mehearty
    13 years ago

My Jacki blooms around the fourth of July. I realize we're in 2 different zones, but plants always act different their first year in the ground.

I have never had a clem not produce a few flowers in its first year in the garden. I am however, having 2 stubborn ones that do not wish to bloom in their 5th and 3rd year.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mehearty...You mean there's hope for my clematis? I would love to see at least one bloom this (the 1st year). That would be awesome. I keep checking everyday looking for signs of a flower bud. lol

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here it is September in the Fraser Valley (BC) Zone 8. My Jackmanii is finished blooming and nothing left but a vine. Both have been tended to in the same way - but Wow! the Superba is still blooming and making new buds.

• julieiwuc
    13 years ago

Glad that you reported back on the Jackmanii vs. Jackmanii Superba issue. I think I will have to get the Superba.
    Julie

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area