Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cohouser

Entel flopping again

cohouser
14 years ago

My Entel, after reviving for a day or so, has gone limp worse than before, starting with her tips and progressing down the stems, though she still hasn't wilted all the way to the ground. She's had plenty of water from downpours the last couple of days plus me watering her. Should I ignore her dramatics, or should I prune her back? This is her first year in the ground and she's shot up to about four feet tall.

Comments (11)

• cohouser
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I couldn't stand to see her all limp, and today her leaves were browning too, so I pruned her. Now my newly planted Cezanne is starting to do the same thing, although one stem is so far OK. I hate this!! We are definitely having some unusual weather, a rainstorm and cool temps every afternoon, so maybe that's part of the problem.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Gosh, I really wish I could help out, but I can't, I've never had that happen to me. Now that I just jinxed myself...

From what I've read, I will have to say that is weird for a viticella. I would have to say that all of my new transplants pretty much 'hang' there & don't put out a ton of growth hardly ever. Maybe it is growing to fast for what it can handle. The vigorousness sounds like a rockstar performer but maybe too much for it's own good at this point. I can't stand browning foliage & would have cut it back too.

I have never lived in CO but I have read of people's experiences. Mostly your elevation & proximity to the sun as well as wind can wreak havoc on your plants. On top of that it sounds like you have had a very cold spring. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I was a plant, I'd be all confused.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

They sound like they are needing to be watered...are you having drying winds this year?...Jeanne

• cohouser
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne, we have been having downpours every afternoon.

• cnetter
    14 years ago

I thought one of new little ones had wilted, but it turned out both little stems were broken off at the base. I'm attempting to root one of them.
    I've never seen real clematis wilt in Colorado. My plants are loving all this unusual moisture.

• cohouser
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy, if this isn't clematis wilt, I wonder what it is. Three of mine now, or at least parts of them, have suddenly pooped out.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Maybe they are getting too much water?

• cohouser
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That seems a more likely explanation, except that only one stem of my Cezanne and my Niobe-Henryi tangle wilted.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Maybe all the extra water is causing more top growth than the roots can handle.

• cnetter
    14 years ago

Have you done a very very gentle tug on the limp stem? I ask that because my limp stem came right out and the end was broken or severed.
    I know I have critters under the soil. Either bugs or voles. My cats kill at least one vole a day so I know there are voles.

• cohouser
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cnetter, no, I haven't tugged on the stem -- I've become ruthless and have just lopped 'em all off, encouraged by all the information I've read here that pruning is ultimately the best thing for them anyway.

BorS, I think I'm going to go with your theory. It could explain the Entel, a viticella no less, going down for the count.