Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summermusicz4ia

Huvi and Piilu

summermusicz4ia
14 years ago

New supply of clems came in at Lowes. Got Huvi and Piilu, both have a flower. Checked COTW...sure Huvi is correct. Piilu has a pale lavendar flower so question if it is labeled correctly but bought it anyway. Maybe it will become more pink in outdoor light. What do you think?

They had another one from the same hybridizer but it was not in bloom so passed it by for now. Thought I could remember the name so I could check it out on the web....but forgot the name...the tag showed a magenta red flower.

Comments (14)

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Lowes having Huvi is amazing. It is on my must have list. I guess that means I must go Lowes. I want Piilu too.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I agree...I ordered my "Huvi" online last year..won't know about your supposed "Piilu" without seeing a pic..could your Magenta red be "Niobe"...Jeanne

• alina_1
    14 years ago

I have to check whether our Lowe's has 'Huvi'... I've bought 'Piilu' a couple of weeks ago. It was in bloom, so no mislabeled Clematis for me this time.

Jeanne, the original poster said the the magenta color Clematis was from the same hybridizer. Niobe is not a Kivistik's hybrid. Maybe, it was 'Ruutel'? It is quite common.

I am still looking for Kivistik's 'Marmori'... Does anyone know the source?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have seen Piilu at Lowe's a whole table of them but they were marked something else. Piilu is outstanding, if it is correctly marked, grab it.

Piilu is pale lavender with a hot pink bar. Flowers can be double, semi-double or single. Sometimes all at the same time like mine is now. I'll have to upload the new pics.

{{gwi:593202}}

• alina_1
    14 years ago

WOW! I love ruffles! Thanks for posting the picture BorS!

The one I bought only had single flowers with 4 petals. I hope it will bloom in doubles for me on old wood some day.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Mine has fully double and semi double blooms right now with some singles too in it's second year in the ground from a gallon pot.

Hard pruned when planted last year and this spring as well. Pinched too.

I'm very impressed with it. Just bought one for a friend.

• grow_darnit
    14 years ago

Wow. Mine is 7 year old, every year it's completely covered in small flowers, but NEVER any doubles. None on new growth and none on old. It looks wonderful, I can't complain, I just wish it had some doubles, at least occasionally.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

That picture is from last year. I haven't uploaded this year's yet. I was not expecting how gorgeous they are and how many different forms at once.

• daisy735
    14 years ago

{{gwi:593204}}

Dog-gone my Piilu died but left me with a great Huvi.I had them paired too. Can't beat her for rich color.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Ok, you all made me make a psycho run to Lowes to see if I could find Piilu, nada. They have the same inventory that they did 3 weeks ago in my area. They are on sale though.

I also hit up the local Home Depot & Menards. Menards is offering more now than it did a few weeks ago, but still nothing I wanted.

My local nursery chain Steins has a great special for $12.88 for Confetti, Galore, & Claire de Lune...a few others that were not unloaded yet & could see only a few. They were Ernest Markham & Niobe. I am seriously considering Galore & Confetti to grow up the south side of my shed where I wanted to plant grapes. Anyone think I can manage all 3? I need to research grapes a lot further to see if they would be worth it. I would like to experiment in making wine one day.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I went to Lowes tonight. No Huvi, no Piilu.

Then I went to Steins. They had something mislabeled as Ernest Markham, it looked like Huvi to me.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I think you have to grow a very large amount of grapes to make wine with!

Confetti and Galore both are supposed to be long blooming with many, many flowers. I'd grab them.

• cnetter
    14 years ago

lalalandwi, grapes can be very very vigorous! I think a grape would overtake a clematis, even Jackmanii.
    We made three gallons of wine from our grape last year, and two gallons, plus a lot of jelly the year previous.
    This is the grape: - it's about 20 feet long and 6 feet deep.
    {{gwi:593207}}

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Holy cow cnetter!!! That is huge! Yes, I just spent the morning researching growing grapes & it is not such an easy task & it takes up quite a bit of space & a monstrous support. I wasn't looking into getting into heavy production...just to make a bottle or 2 per year, mostly want to just eat 'em fresh, if I can get 3g, I would be stoked. I did find a few varieties that I could use both ways. I still want to grow them, but came up with a much better idea on where to grow them. That won't happen this year though...more planning needs to take place. I really want to turn into an espalier or growing it like a stand alone tree with some wires. I need to read more to make sure I'm up for it...kind of reminds me of my wisteria days, LOL.

I just got back from getting them & I'm really happy I did. The roots filled the 1g pot & lots of new stems coming up. COTW has Confetti growing much shorter than Galore. After googling, not finding much info. I'm going to start another post to see if anyone has experience with it before planting them together. I really like the way they look together & hope it works!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!