Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pac101202houzz

Henry I survives calamity from neighbor yard

pac101202houzz
14 years ago

I have a Henry I that came up this spring for it's 3rd year and had a spectacular bloom and grew strong & well. One week in May, the plant starting dying pretty much all over (if there was any trend it was from the top down to base). It was 100% totally brown within a week so I ruled out insects and considered this "wilt" thing. Then, I learned that our neighbors used some type of chemical to COMPLETELY eradicate any growing thing in their yard; of course this Henry I grows on the adjoining fence. So I concluded chemical damage/death.

I was getting ready to dig it up, and replant the space, after about 6 weeks. And now we have 3 strong looking shoots coming up, that are about 12 inches tall now. So here is an example of 'don't be too quick to give up.' I am glad I did not act quickly in my anxiety & sadness back in May.

The question I had for the group is this: will this plant behave like it's spring time again i.e. first bloom and all ? Because from the plant's perspective, it's just gone through an (involuntary) dormant period. I'm not sure if my expectations should be different from the normal springtime routine. thanks ! Pat in Sacramento CA

Comments (4)