Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about new clematis plants

Posted by mnclerk none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 1:34

I just bought three small clematis and went to plant them. They came with those cheap plasticky mini trellises in the pots. When I was trying to detangle one of the plants from them, a bunch of the stems snapped, and now there's only two or three inches of plant left - with some dark green leaves. The same thing happened when I started detangling the other one, so I just left it for now.

Is my newly tiny clem going to die? And should I try to get the other plant off the mini trellis?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about new clematis plants

2 things - depending on how tiny they are you may want to pot them in a larger pot for a season. I did a search on this subject and found many passionate arguments on both sides (pot vs ground). The main issue is that it gives the tiny plants a season of protection inwhich to work on thier root system before being put in the ground. Use the search engine here and see all this helpful info.
On the other hand, again I learned this from searching info about newly planted Clematis . Everyone says you should keep them pruned quite short for the first 2 seasons to force the plant to grow roots rather than stems so I think you just gave this one its first prune. I am sure that whether you plant it in a pot or in the ground as long as you take good care of it , good light and water, you will see new shoots coming from the leaf juncture before you know it.

o
RE: Question about new clematis plants

If you use the GardenWeb Search Engine (within the Clemtis Forum) search "Newbie" for alot of very good info as well as "potting new plants"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here