Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arabs4me_gw

A true blue clematis?

arabs4me
18 years ago

I was looking at a clematis on ebay that was supposed to actually be blue. It went for over $55 !

Is there actually a blue clematis? If so, where to get one? Thanks

Dawn

Comments (13)

• janandalan
    18 years ago

Dawn,
    I don't have any blues myself, but I received a Park's Gardens catalog yesterday that advertised "Will Goodwin" as a "true sky blue". They also show a picture of "Koenigskind" that looks very blue. I haven't ordered any plants from Parks, so I'm not sure how they rank in that arena. (see link below).
    ......Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Goodwin Clematis

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Do you have Durandii? It is superb weaving through plants. Mine weaves through a white peony. (It is just the blue colour of my grade school gym suit!) You probably could buy it locally and not have to deal with the mails in this summer heat.

• sunnyday2day
    18 years ago

For my money Konigskind is not a true blue at all though it is a very pretty clematis. Will Goodwin is a nice bluish color. I've ordered from Parks before. The clematis was soooooooooo small. There was literally no top growth with only a few threads called roots. I would call and ask them what size it is. There's an 800 number. If you could find one locally, say "Rhapsody" which is pretty common this year, I think you'd be happy with that one! Marie mentioned Durandii...very pretty and I have several of that type ('integrifolia', which are typically scramblers and not climbers) but if you'd rather have a climbing vine there are some other possibilities this time of year (I hope. :))
    Good luck... Tanya
    Here is my Konigskind
    {{gwi:593394}}

Here is Rhapsody
    {{gwi:593397}}

• Claire_from_Michigan
    18 years ago

I have Clematis Blue Boy and I just have fallen in love with this one! The picture you see here is true to the color outside in my yard! It looks a bit lavender blue but it is close to a light blue as I think you can get. In fact, I purchased this from Chalk Hill. When someone told me it wasn't the right color, I contacted Chalk Hill and they sent me a new one. As it turns out, the new one (last picture) is also the same color. Doesn't matter, I still love it. This one exploded this year and looks magnificent!

{{gwi:593403}}

The next picture is of one single bloom:
    {{gwi:593407}}

This last picture is the new plant I planted last year ...same color as you can see!
    {{gwi:593409}}

• Molineux
    18 years ago

Are these blue enough for you?

{{gwi:191782}}
    {{gwi:191783}}
    Images of Perle d'Azure, Rooguchi and Betty Corning by david 5311

• gardenerboo
    18 years ago

How awesome Molineaux!!!!!!!! It's pictures like these that have truly inspired me. Simply Georgeous!

• Molineux
    18 years ago

Please note that these aren't mine. They belong to David. I do plan to buy all three along with PRINCE CHARLES. Who can resist those images? I sure can't. LOL!

Here is an image of PRINCE CHARLSES by LarryBob at the Hortiplex database. It is supposed to be similar in color and shape to Perle d'Azur but on a shorter easier to grow plant.

• Joan Dupuis
    18 years ago

I had 2 Perle d'Azure ordered and cancelled them in favor of Prince Charles after reading how much easier PC is to grow, but will have to wait til next Spril to get it.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I just bought 2 gorgeous Perle d'Azur plants at a farmers' market for $6 each. My wife's favorite clem. They were both in bloom, so I am sure for once that they are true to name which is often not the case.

I also bought a seedling integrifolia a few weeks ago which I think is a truer blue although it is a small bell flower rather than a large flat one.

George

• karinl
    18 years ago

I just bought Perle D'Azur with flower buds on it, and now they are open and they are NOT blue but flaming PURPLE with FUCHSIA ribs. I am planting it next to Rooguchi after seeing that maaahvellous blue-on-blue look in the photos above - my compliments to David, whoever you are. But with this flaming purple that won't be the look I get. Is there any hope that this plant will become light blue in a future year, once established? Is this a juvenile habit? Or have I bought a dud?

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Don't know about your plant Karin, but the plants I bought were a typical pale blue lavender with a somewhat pearlescent look in the center of the petals which is typical of the cultivar. No apparent midribs at all from the front of the flower. They look just like the photos in 'Clematis on the Web'. These were 2nd year cuttings with about 5 foot of vine and just starting to branch out.

George

• karinl
    18 years ago

Well thank you for clarifying, Geoforce. I will be sure to take a photo with which I can go back to the supplier if the condition doesn't straighten out. In the meantime I have made a note of all the blues noted above.

• gardenerboo
    18 years ago

I just recently bought a durandi and a rhapsody. The colours are a true blue. Thanks you for the pictures and info. It was very helpful to me as I am not sure whether pictures are true on the labels or not.