Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardwellave

Most prolific clematis?

cardwellave
12 years ago

I have a relatively large area I want to cover with a clematis vine. It is about 10 feet tall by about 15 or 20 wide. I intend on getting some sort of trellis for it to climb (it is a large bare wall on the side of the house. It is definitely sunny there but experiences some shade (the ground especially so it should be good to keep the roots cool). Ideally I would like a variety that flowers the most and the longest, is a fast grower, and ideally for color I'm looking for something in the pinks or reds (I really like the ones with the reddish centers of petals and pink around the edges, sort of like on the Clematis forum page). Also a larger flower is preferred. But I am flexible on color and size if a very prolific, big bloomer is recommended. Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

You want one variety to fill all that space?

• cardwellave
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am open to doing a few....I figure I will need a few plants of whatever variety anyway.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

The pic on the clematis forum page is Asao, I believe. Can't tell you anything about it other than that I keep looking around my yard trying to figure out a place to plant it. I really want it.

Kate

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

It's Kakio/Pink Champagne and not big enough for what the OP wants to do.

To cover that much space you are going to need Type III's. They generally have smaller flowers but a lot of them and grow much more vigorously than Type II Large Flowered Hybrids like the picture shown.

Ville de Lyon is the closest to that color but the blooms are smaller.

Comtesse de Bouchard is pink/mauve

Huldine is white with mauve stripe on reverse of the tepal

Polish Spirit, Jackmanii, Etoile Violette are purple

Prince Charles, Blue Angel, Perle de Azur, Betty Corning are lavender

There are many more. These all require hard pruning every year to bloom their best but will climb to ten feet every year after pruned.

• eden_in_me
    12 years ago

EV is my fastest growing type 3, but one of the oldest.
    Galore (aka Vesuvius) is also a fast growing purple. Huldine has become more vigorous after a slow 2 years. Hagley Hybrid does well, has started blooming 2 days ago.

A few of the others are too, but I am not sure of the spelling.

• cardwellave
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW. Really love some of those varieties. And I didn't know there were clems that grew that quickly in one season. I could possibly plant them this year and get blooms later in the season.

Really like Etoille Violette, Ville de Lyon, Blue Angel. Also really love Madame Julia Correvon. Would these all look good together? Mme JC is a group three also right?

• cardwellave
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I meant Comtesse du Bouchard not Ville de Lyon. Sorry these names are so pretty and confusing!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Yes, Mme. Julia Correvon is part of that group too.

Keep in mind that ALL Clematis take at least three years to fully mature.

Type IIIs from gallon pots. Trellis is 9' at center and 7' on ends.

First year:

{{gwi:593820}}

Second year:

{{gwi:593822}}

Third year:

{{gwi:593825}}

Soil was heavily tilled and amended before planting and has been top dressed with compost every year. No tree roots in this bed makes these Clematis my best performers.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Some type 3s

Madame Julia de Correvon,
    {{gwi:593832}}

Duchess of Albany
    {{gwi:593834}}

Gravety Beauty 2nd year 2010, already many more vines and just starting to bloom this year but no photo
    {{gwi:576425}}

• jumpindogs
    12 years ago

Remember to prune your first year clems during the growing season to prevent flowering in order to encourage root growth. This can be really hard to do when you are anxiously awaiting flowers but unless you help the roots grow as much as possible the first year you may end up with a plant that will likely not reach it's full potential...meaning you will likely not achieve the results you desire for that area. Also be sure to plant the crowns a few inches below the surface of the soil. This also can be hard to do since many other plants cannot tolerate deep transplanting so our brains fight against it. But clems need it in order to survive wilt and cold winters. Believe what you read about clematis cultivation. :-)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

You don't want to mix type I, type II and type III together on the same part of the trellis since pruning then becomes difficult due to the different pruning regimes. However, the different pruning types tend to bloom at different times, so if you have different segments of your wall devoted to different pruning types, you can have bloom in at least one area pretty much all summer.

My large type III:
    My Ville de Lyon is a very good sized plant and I love the bi-tone flowers. It's blooming for me now.
    Emilia Plater is only in its second year in my garden (third year plant) and is already approaching 10 feet. It also is just starting to bloom.

My large type II:
    Guernsey Cream may well reach 10 feet for you since it's about that for me, a quite vigorous type II.
    My other really vigorous type II is HF Young, which has stunning lavender-blue flowers.
    In my garden, GC blooms before HF Young, but they aren't near each other, so different conditions may influence that, I'm not sure.

Type I atragene clems are the earliest bloomers for me and both mine get larger than 10 feet if you have room for something larger or don't mine them flopping past the top of your support structure:
    Albina Plena is a double white with tons of smaller (3") flowers.
    Blue Bird is a similar double blue. Both bloom mid-May into early June for me.

• LindaMA
    12 years ago

I have a few that are pretty prolific, the first and one of my favs is clematis viticella Venosa Violacea, this is my 3rd year growing this clematis and it just beginning to open with loads of buds. I have it growing around one of my bird houses and it really is quite lovely.

I have two growing up the side of my deck and wrapped around the railings and they are Prince Charles and Galore, they have been blooming for a week now and loaded with buds....these three are my best.

I'm also having wonderful luck with Rooguchi, which is growing on a large Obleisk, along with Haley's Hybrid and Comtesse de bouchaud with the latter two not putting on their show yet.

I have Henyri, which is about 5 years old, large and very healthy looking and yet, I do not get that many blossoms on it. This could be due to where it is planted, along my front yard fence, but I've also heard a lot of others say that Henryi isn't a major bloomer. I have Bonanza on this same fence but the jury is still out, as I've just moved it to this spot.

New this year for me are Omoshiro, purchased from Brushwood and Captain Thuilleaux. I won't see anything spectacular from these two for a few years.

Linda

• Kris Ragu
    4 years ago

Hello , Pls suggest a nice purple and Red/pink to grow together in sePA ( sun till noon) ....Any new varieties added recently?