Rebecca

Snow Queen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis pictures from BG

Beautiful blooms. Thanks for sharing.

o

Gorgeous! Mine is still climbing. I can hardly wait.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 15:31

Absolutely beautiful - should have checked this post before stopping today at the nursery ~ I came home w/ Pink Chiffon in search of Piilu ~ should have checked if they had Asao! Oh well ...

o

Lovely pics . I like to see what the clematis look like in an actual garden setting. I just got Rebecca this year.

What is BG?

Julia

o

BG stands for Bulgaria. On several occasions I had to explain that I live in the capital Sofia, about 400 miles from Athens, Greece
Several more pictures:
Westerplatte:

Nelly Moser:

Natascha (Westphal)

Kakio (Pink Champagne)

Veronica's Choice

Veronica & Kaen

The First Lady

THyrislund (Fl.Hansen, Denmark)

Viennetta

o

Gorgeous!

o

Thanks for the explanation of BG. I'm fairly new on the forum and just getting my feet wet with all the lingo.

Another wonderful group of clematis you grow. The last one, Viennetta, is very striking with the layers of colors. So many blooms on all of the ones you showed.
How old are most of your clematis?

Julia

o

Piilu

Viennetta

Ville de Lyon

Proteus

Dorothy Walton

Durandii

Rouge Cardinal

Kaen

o

I must get a First Lady to go with The President. Didn't think I would like the double blossoms but now that I have a few they are growing on me. Kaen and Veronica's Choice are stunning.

o

Julia, I bought my first clematis 6 years ago. It was Candida with a beautiful white bloom on top and several buds. A few days later she wilted and nearly gave me a heart attack. I googled "clematis" and discovered their wonderful diversity. Now, on s small city plot I grow about 60

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 0:34

Hi again Neptune44 ~ I noticed in some of your pictures showing your gorgeous Clems in containers ~ do you grow most of them in containers?

o

Thanks you for posting the second group of pics. Your collection is wonderful to see. Piilu is very eye catching.

Nice group!

Julia

o

I've never seen before Mrs. Cholmondeley double:

Polish Spirit, second year in the garden. The most vigorous clematis.

The new ELH started to bloom:
Claire de Lune. Exquisite beauty. Opens light pink

Will Goodwin

Rooran (Takeuchi, Japan)

Nice, soft color, but very different from the dramatic photo in Thorncroft's cataloque:

http://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=767&xSec=22

o

Beautiful plants, neptune.

Your Rouge Cardinal looks very purple in the photo. Is your plant actually that color?

CoTW states that it fades to a more purple shade as the bloom ages, but that's really purple.

o

Thanks for posing the pictures Neptune!

It is especially interesting for us here in US to see the varieties that are not available here: Rooran, Kaen, THyrislund.
Your Clematis look amazing. Very healthy.

I've been in Bulgaria and have a very good memories about that trip.

I would agree with Janet - your Rouge Cardinal is either mislabeled or a different strain. Mine looks rather red.

o

Wonderful pictures; thanks for posting. These patens types are growing very well for you. I'm guessing your soil is a little more clay than sand? That would explain their vigor.

o

Happy to see the Vienetta pictures. I don't understand why this particular variety is sooo difficult to get.

A local garden center has a big poster with all of Evison's varieties pictured and listed. Vienetta is the last one on the poster and the garden center manager has checked for me and cannot get it. I've spoken to 3 other local nurseries/garden centers managers (I'm known by name in all of them) and none of them are able to get the plant for me.

I did see Joy Creek has it, but its their most expensive variety and once you factor in shipping it ends up being over $40 for a plant who knows how big.

~Chills
zone 6b Michigan

o

I also have doubts about Rouge Cardinal. Actually last year posted a picture asking for help to ID it.
Viennetta was mail-ordered from Taylors Clematis, UK. In dollars it cost me about 30. She overwintered in the garrage. I am not sure about her hardyness.

o

I lost several Viennetta and Florida Sieboldii before I planted my last Viennetta next to the house foundation. I told my story in this thread. It is her third year in my garden. The flowers are sparse and not as prolific as on other Clematis, but I love her. She is so different.

o

neptune, do you thing your Rouge Cardinal could be Etoile Violette?

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=26

o

Oh my, they are all spectacular, your very lucky that they grow so well for you. Are they all grown in pots or are some grown in the soil? If some are grown in soil, do you ammend the soil, add any fertilzers, etc?

Thanks for posting these beauties!
Linda

o

alina_1 said ... "I lost several Viennetta and Florida Sieboldii before I planted my last Viennetta next to the house foundation." ... BINGO! Here's my 'Vienetta' successfully growing in zone 3 ... yes, zone 3 and against the foundation of my house. I do not find this plant to be fussy nor needing hot summer temperatures to thrive, rather quite to the contrary, it takes my roller coaster up and down spring and summer temps with no problem. As you can see, the plant is not a shy bloomer and continues to flower over a long season. Unfortunately, last year I had overdosed it with manure and nearly killed it, though thankfully it's now in recovery. For good reason, 'Vienetta' is obviously one of my most favorite and most commented upon clematis!

Photobucket

Terrance

o

Janet, I have Etoile Violette growing not far from the Cardinal. They are different. For me Warsaw Nike looks more like it.
Etoille Violette:

Alina, it´s wonderful that your Viennetta survived in zone 3!
My neighbour planted her last June. Everything above ground died during the winter. In March new shoots appeared but the blooms will be very late

o

Neptune44, you have many beautiful clematis!

My 'Vienetta' and florida sieboldii bloom about the same time as many of my other type III varieties.

Terrance

o

The mature flowers of my Rouge Cardinal look purple like those on Neptune44's photo when shaded. The new blooms look more reddish/maroon.

o

Stunning,just stunning all! What a magnificent collection of beauties. I came over to this forum of experts to do a search on how to move a Clematis.Was just going to peek in on some of the posts first. Didn't expect to be blown away, inspired and reaching for a pen. Yes a pen,for a new Clematis wish list.lol. I have a cottage garden with only 7 Clematis. Mostly paired with a rose.I see now I need more.

o

Really enjoyed looking at all these beautiful photos. It isn't even winter yet and I already miss seeing my flowers in bloom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here