Snow Queen

{{gwi:594107}}

Comments (27)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms. Thanks for sharing.

• alaMel
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Mine is still climbing. I can hardly wait.

• ditas
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful - should have checked this post before stopping today at the nursery ~ I came home w/ Pink Chiffon in search of Piilu ~ should have checked if they had Asao! Oh well ...

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Lovely pics . I like to see what the clematis look like in an actual garden setting. I just got Rebecca this year.

What is BG?

Julia

• neptune44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BG stands for Bulgaria. On several occasions I had to explain that I live in the capital Sofia, about 400 miles from Athens, Greece
    Several more pictures:
    Westerplatte:
    {{gwi:594109}}
    Nelly Moser:
    {{gwi:594111}}
    Natascha (Westphal)
    {{gwi:594112}}
    Kakio (Pink Champagne)
    {{gwi:594113}}
    Veronica's Choice
    {{gwi:594114}}
    Veronica & Kaen
    {{gwi:594115}}
    The First Lady
    {{gwi:594116}}
    THyrislund (Fl.Hansen, Denmark)
    {{gwi:594117}}
    Viennetta
    {{gwi:594118}}

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Thanks for the explanation of BG. I'm fairly new on the forum and just getting my feet wet with all the lingo.

Another wonderful group of clematis you grow. The last one, Viennetta, is very striking with the layers of colors. So many blooms on all of the ones you showed.
    How old are most of your clematis?

Julia

• neptune44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Piilu
    {{gwi:594119}}
    Viennetta
    {{gwi:594121}}
    Ville de Lyon
    {{gwi:594123}}
    Proteus
    {{gwi:594125}}
    Dorothy Walton
    {{gwi:594127}}
    Durandii
    {{gwi:594129}}
    Rouge Cardinal
    {{gwi:594131}}
    Kaen
    {{gwi:594133}}

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I must get a First Lady to go with The President. Didn't think I would like the double blossoms but now that I have a few they are growing on me. Kaen and Veronica's Choice are stunning.

• neptune44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julia, I bought my first clematis 6 years ago. It was Candida with a beautiful white bloom on top and several buds. A few days later she wilted and nearly gave me a heart attack. I googled "clematis" and discovered their wonderful diversity. Now, on s small city plot I grow about 60

• ditas
    12 years ago

Hi again Neptune44 ~ I noticed in some of your pictures showing your gorgeous Clems in containers ~ do you grow most of them in containers?

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Thanks you for posting the second group of pics. Your collection is wonderful to see. Piilu is very eye catching.

Nice group!

Julia

• neptune44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never seen before Mrs. Cholmondeley double:
    {{gwi:594136}}

{{gwi:594138}}
    Polish Spirit, second year in the garden. The most vigorous clematis.
    {{gwi:594140}}
    The new ELH started to bloom:
    Claire de Lune. Exquisite beauty. Opens light pink
    {{gwi:594142}}
    Will Goodwin
    {{gwi:594144}}
    Rooran (Takeuchi, Japan)
    {{gwi:594146}}
    Nice, soft color, but very different from the dramatic photo in Thorncroft's cataloque:
    {{gwi:594148}}
    http://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=767&xSec=22

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

Beautiful plants, neptune.

Your Rouge Cardinal looks very purple in the photo. Is your plant actually that color?

CoTW states that it fades to a more purple shade as the bloom ages, but that's really purple.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

Thanks for posing the pictures Neptune!

It is especially interesting for us here in US to see the varieties that are not available here: Rooran, Kaen, THyrislund.
    Your Clematis look amazing. Very healthy.

I've been in Bulgaria and have a very good memories about that trip.

I would agree with Janet - your Rouge Cardinal is either mislabeled or a different strain. Mine looks rather red.

• michael_in_chicago
    12 years ago

Wonderful pictures; thanks for posting. These patens types are growing very well for you. I'm guessing your soil is a little more clay than sand? That would explain their vigor.

• chills71
    12 years ago

Happy to see the Vienetta pictures. I don't understand why this particular variety is sooo difficult to get.

A local garden center has a big poster with all of Evison's varieties pictured and listed. Vienetta is the last one on the poster and the garden center manager has checked for me and cannot get it. I've spoken to 3 other local nurseries/garden centers managers (I'm known by name in all of them) and none of them are able to get the plant for me.

I did see Joy Creek has it, but its their most expensive variety and once you factor in shipping it ends up being over $40 for a plant who knows how big.

~Chills
    zone 6b Michigan

• neptune44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also have doubts about Rouge Cardinal. Actually last year posted a picture asking for help to ID it.
    Viennetta was mail-ordered from Taylors Clematis, UK. In dollars it cost me about 30. She overwintered in the garrage. I am not sure about her hardyness.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

I lost several Viennetta and Florida Sieboldii before I planted my last Viennetta next to the house foundation. I told my story in this thread. It is her third year in my garden. The flowers are sparse and not as prolific as on other Clematis, but I love her. She is so different.

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

neptune, do you thing your Rouge Cardinal could be Etoile Violette?

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=26

• LindaMA
    12 years ago

Oh my, they are all spectacular, your very lucky that they grow so well for you. Are they all grown in pots or are some grown in the soil? If some are grown in soil, do you ammend the soil, add any fertilzers, etc?

Thanks for posting these beauties!
    Linda

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

alina_1 said ... "I lost several Viennetta and Florida Sieboldii before I planted my last Viennetta next to the house foundation." ... BINGO! Here's my 'Vienetta' successfully growing in zone 3 ... yes, zone 3 and against the foundation of my house. I do not find this plant to be fussy nor needing hot summer temperatures to thrive, rather quite to the contrary, it takes my roller coaster up and down spring and summer temps with no problem. As you can see, the plant is not a shy bloomer and continues to flower over a long season. Unfortunately, last year I had overdosed it with manure and nearly killed it, though thankfully it's now in recovery. For good reason, 'Vienetta' is obviously one of my most favorite and most commented upon clematis!

{{gwi:594150}}

Terrance

• neptune44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Janet, I have Etoile Violette growing not far from the Cardinal. They are different. For me Warsaw Nike looks more like it.
    Etoille Violette:
    {{gwi:594152}}

Alina, itôs wonderful that your Viennetta survived in zone 3!
    My neighbour planted her last June. Everything above ground died during the winter. In March new shoots appeared but the blooms will be very late

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Neptune44, you have many beautiful clematis!

My 'Vienetta' and florida sieboldii bloom about the same time as many of my other type III varieties.

Terrance

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

The mature flowers of my Rouge Cardinal look purple like those on Neptune44's photo when shaded. The new blooms look more reddish/maroon.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Stunning,just stunning all! What a magnificent collection of beauties. I came over to this forum of experts to do a search on how to move a Clematis.Was just going to peek in on some of the posts first. Didn't expect to be blown away, inspired and reaching for a pen. Yes a pen,for a new Clematis wish list.lol. I have a cottage garden with only 7 Clematis. Mostly paired with a rose.I see now I need more.

• pmermakov
    11 years ago

Really enjoyed looking at all these beautiful photos. It isn't even winter yet and I already miss seeing my flowers in bloom!

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator