Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

2011 First Blooms

mnwsgal
12 years ago

All from gal pots when planted unless noted elsewise.

Asao, 3rd year

{{gwi:425340}}

Lemon Chiffon, lst spring, only one blossom but it is big and beautiful

{{gwi:594175}}

Daniel Deronda, lst spring

{{gwi:594176}}

Rebecca, lst spring, note far right blossom is red, as they aged they have turned more maroon

{{gwi:594177}}

NOID, 3rd year in ground from 4" pot, moved last fall

{{gwi:594178}}

The President, 2nd year

{{gwi:594179}}

Gravety Beauty, 3rd year

{{gwi:594181}}

Comments (10)

• PVick
    12 years ago

Hi mnwsgal! Are you a late sleeper or early riser??

These are all beauties; I especially like the Asao. I'll have to put that one on my "list for the future", 'cause I certainly don't have any more space now.

Thanks for posting.

PV

• talynnp
    12 years ago

mnwsgal,

Maybe your noid is Bee's Jubilee??? Looks like one that I have.

Tanya

• ditas
    12 years ago

Congratulations! So we're a month ahead ~ give or take 'pending on Ma Nature huh?! I'm w/ PV Asao's in my wish list along w/ Piilu if I can still find them. Perhaps container them while I hunt for sites around by the fence.

How close to the fence do you sink them?

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PV, I am a night owl going to bed between 3 and 5 a.m. Love the night! I am surprised by the number of clems you have on your balcony. Are all your photos from ones that you currently growing?

Thanks, Tanya. I have a named Bee's Jubilee that was planted last spring so when it blooms I can see if they are the same.

ditas, I have the ones on the fence about a foot from the fence. If I were to do it over I think I would have spaced them out a bit more but it works fine.

None of these is blooming early, some are listed as May bloomers. The abundant rain has made for quick growth though not early blooms for me. I also love Piilu, can't find my clematis bloom data sheet from last year so don't remember when it bloomed. I make a list of all my clems according to area then add columns for each week of the spring/summer/fall and check them off if they are blooming. It takes only a short time and with close to 80 varieties I can not remember what bloomed when otherwise.

It is fun each day to go out and see what is new. Some open many blooms at once, others open a few blooms at the beginning. One, H.F. Young, is opening many blossoms but only one petal at a time, weird, eh?

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Thank you for sharing your pics. It is a great way for others to see how a clematis may look in our own garden.

Anyone of those could come and live at my place but first I need to get the ones I already bought in the ground. I bought Rebecca so hopefully when mine blooms next year the it will look as good as yours.

Julia

• ditas
    12 years ago

mnwsgal ~ We had an early start of Spring this 2011 & unusually did not get any real late freeze as we always did in the past - we even hit over 100 degs for a couple of days before getting barraged by storms, hails & damaging winds just these past 2 weeks & returned to cooler days. As a consequence all my 6 Spring blooming Clems did not disappoint all together by last week of May ~ however, Josephine & Ramona had mottled-yellow leaves (iron defficiency issue).

Like you, I've been keeping a Garden Journal & Pictorial Journal as well ~ made easier now w/ this computer ~ even have a 3" ring binder that holds all my dated plant tags since the late 1980s ~ compulsive aren't I LOL

• PVick
    12 years ago

mnwsgal - yes, all are currently growing. I think the only one I don't have pics of is the Avant-Garde; that one is a baby and has not bloomed for me yet.

This year, The President is not doing too well at all; it put out leaves really quickly (all the rain we had), but it has not bloomed. Normally it blooms like mad the last couple of weeks in May and then sporadic blooms all summer long. Most of the bottom leaves are dry and brown; since it needs to be repotted, I think I'm going to perform some major surgery on it. Figure I'll learn a bit more about clematis culture - but I sure hope it survives.

PV

• ditas
    12 years ago

I was just out cleaning up my Ramona ~ she seems to be growing new twines & climbing the trellis but the new growth seem daintier than her usual & new opening blooms also daintier ~ but definitely doing a bit better w/ iron treatment. Perhaps all the heavy storms we've been havin could be washing some of the treatment?

PV ~ do you use a particular (easy-ready-mix) soil for your container grown Clems? I temporarily potted *Pink Chiffon-HHClem* & all I had was reg potting soil mix ~ seem too light!

• PVick
    12 years ago

ditas - I have used regular Miracle-Gro potting mix in most of them. But I got discouraged with Miracle-Gro in recent years and switched to using either ProMix (which is hard to find in my area) or Fafard. My two most recent clems are in the Fafard, which is a bit light, but they are doing quite well in it.

I'd love to try tapla's recipe for container mix (you can find that over on the Container Gardening forum), but apartment living just does not provide the space necessary for the ingredients and the mixing.

PV

• ditas
    12 years ago

I ended up running for another large bag of potting soil - Ultimate Fertilome already w/ perlites.

I have given up on container gardening as I now have 25 different beds to busy myself w/. I keep a few for the ones I've rooted ~ a temp parking place I call them & serves as sore-eye cover-ups as well. I should be able to put together a better potting mix as a few have recommended in this GW. I think I've planted the last Hydrangea (running out of prime real est ~ Moving on to a few more easy-care-Roses & now Clems & intend to keep them in containers ~ fingers crossed!!!

During our student days I kept a postage stamp hanging patio garden but nothing as exotic as what you have (fund memories tho!) Best wishes on your repotting!!!

For convenience MG is what I pick up as well but the nursery I went for over 30 years carry Fertilome

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling