Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnspader

Virgin's Bower clematis questions???

johnspader
12 years ago

A few questions before I decide to go with this one on my wall by my deck.

1. I can't seem to get a consistent answer on if clematis virginiana is unscented or not? I'm hoping for unscented (or close to it) because scented flowers will only give my wife headaches.

2. I have a fully latticed wall 14' wide and 16' tall. from the looks of it, this vine should cover it pretty well. but what spread should I plant the seeds in order to make a nice covering? yet see through to the wall a little bit?

3. The ground under the edge of the deck has some dirt, but there are lots of pebbled rocks (marble sized) consuming a lot of the ground. Will this be an issue for healthy growth for this vine?

4. Lastly, and the most important. I have 2 kids (5yrs and 1yr old). the wall I would grow this on is about a foot away from the deck but definitely would be in arms reach. if clematis virginiana is in fact poisonous,...IS THIS VINE A DANGEROUS CHOICE AROUND CHILDREN?

thank you so much y'all, and if anyone has a better vine suggestion for me, I'm looking for a vine with white flowers (preferably), has minimal scent, and does well in shade.

js

Comment (1)