Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis growing too tall for stucture.

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 4:49

Okay, my Jackmanni and Huldine are leaping waaay too tall this year. They've become a tangled mess at the top of my 6'tall trellis and it's really difficult to separate the stems without breaking them. Can I trim them back a bit? They haven't flowered yet but have tons of buds. Thanks everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis growing too tall for stucture.

Hi ! I would let them bloom and enjoy the show! Then cut down to about a third of its size . Then run out and look for a bigger trellis because they will keep getting bigger and fuller ! :) consider a netting or chicken wire that can be disguised with your Clem's. .
Also post pictures ! Gotta see them !

o

I let them drape over the trellis when it gets to the top. I also have ten foot poles with garden fencing across the back of the garage and across the back of the vegetable garden. None has gotten to the top yet but Duchess of Albany has been close.

o

Thanks to you both. I can't really change my trellis. It's a 32' long fence/trellis structure that is cemented into the ground. The clematis have been in there for 3 years now. I have 2 Jackmanni's and 2 Huldines. Last year I just let them drape over the trellis too. I just wasn't sure if you could cut them back or not. I think I'll just let them alone to flower, they look all tangled up on the top but maybe once they bloom they won't look so messy. I'll show pics when they are in bloom. Thanks again for your help.

o

If it's a fence type trellis, can you pull the stems sideways? I do that sometimes when I have horizontal space to cover and the clem wants only to grow vertically. If you fan it out sideways at the bottom, and hold it there, it will take off vertically from there, covering more of the fence, and that will use up some of the length.

o

opheliathornvt ~ Thanks. Yes, I've been doing that. It seems to be working pretty good. Thanks for the tip.

o

Yesterday I gently untangled some of the clematis stems that were growing above the neighbor's low fence and bent them carefully and wound them in and out horizontally along the fence. Some clematis are more brittle than others and occasionally there is a broken stem though not low. I do this every year.

o

Huldine grows to the top of my twenty foot plum tree...she is much too big for a 6' trellis....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here