Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not doing well in a pot

Posted by lucyfretwell ireland (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 5:57

I took a part of a Clematis (Jackmanii) which had layered itself and potted it up some months back.

I assumed that this favourable treatment would suit it well so that it would grow well until I could find it a proper place.

But it is not making growth and the stem has got pretty woody.I would say it.ie the stem) is about 15 inches long and just trailing along the table top.
It is sitting at a West facing window in an unheated room.
I dont see any signs of damage from insects etc so what could be wrong and can I get it to grow normally now?
(the soil as I recall is peaty compost and the pot is about 9 inches in diametre at the top)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not doing well in a pot

Why you are keeping it indoors? The humidity might be too low. Clematis is not an indoor plant.
Newly rooted cuttings can take several years to get established. Stimulate root growth by pinching the vine. It will be ready to be planted in the garden when rootball will be large enough to fill 1 gallon pot.

o

I keep it indoors so as to keep a closer eye on it (slugs do a lot of harm ).
I do worry about forgetting to water it but I would be surprised if it would be not humid enough as this is the West of Irelsnd and we generally have a lot of rain (not normally indoors of course)

o

I keep it indoors so as to keep a closer eye on it (slugs do a lot of harm ).
I do worry about forgetting to water it but I would be surprised if it would be not humid enough as this is the West of Irelsnd and we generally have a lot of rain (not normally indoors of course)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here