Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

HF Young help planted about a month ago.

Okay, thank to all who have replied, in my other thread, but I am still so confused about this vine. I've read to cut it back, or keep it cut back to 18-24inches during the first year of growth. I don't even know how old this plant would be considered.

I do know that I had one long spindly vine growing up the trellis, I had read that isn't what you want. So I decided to cut it back. But I was so scared to do anything to it. It still looks like the pic attached but no blooms. Except now, I've cut back that one spindly vine and I see nothing happening now.

It looks just like it did the day I purchased it, weeks ago. Now it's not even climbing the trellis. I guess I'm waiting now for something to happen where I made the cut back, but don't even know what I'm looking for.

I can't even tell what's what on this thing. Branches, twigs, hard wood, soft wood, last years wood, this years wood, leaves, buds, I couldn't for the life of me tell you where what starts and where what ends. It's a tangled mess, all down at the bottom. There are two or three main stems coming out of the dirt. I assume that's the start of each section of the vine. So I'm assuming, if I see three main stems coming from the ground, somewhere amongst all the tangled mess, there should be three endings, to each of those stems, in which I could train to climb the trellis if I could find an ending.

I don't know, but maybe I should just leave it alone. It's not dead, it's green, I see one ending that might be showing new growth, but if it is, it's still only gonna be one long lanky little vine growing up the trellis all alone, because I can't tell where what starts and where what ends. I'd much rather sacrifice any additional blooming this year and have this thing put out new growth from the ground. But I don't know if I should chop this thing all the way to the ground or not. I just planted it this year, know nothing about it and have done nothing but stress since I got it.

I guess if it starts growing again, and I do have that one piece start growing up the trellis, I should just leave it and enjoy it. If I knew that cutting it back all the way to the ground would help it in any way shape or form I'd do it. That way I can see it as it grows, where the starting and ending points are, if that makes any sense. Because as it is now, I can't tell what's what.

I just want to do this right. Maybe the best thing is to just leave it alone and forgot about it.

Comment (1)

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Your plant looks like it is all new growth. Each vine is referred to as a stem and emerges separately from the crown of the plant. Pinching out the growing point of a stem encourages more lateral growth from two points then which looks like it is more stems but it is the same stem with more growth points.

With three stems from the crown it has a good start. The first year It is in the ground most keep those three stems cut, pruned, low to encourage root establishment and more stems to emerge from the crown. Often there is not much new growth but the plant is working hard below ground. You might cut it back further 8-10 inches so you can see what is happening or leave it the height it is and continue to prune any single stem growth off this year.

Early next spring cut it back low again. Then if you see more stems growing from the crown let it grow and bloom. If still only three stems emerge repeat this year's procedure. After blooming in your area you can cut the stems low so they grow and maybe bloom again.

The third year in the ground most clematis have a burst of growth and you can let it grow with just pinching growth points to get that side growth. Note that pruning and pinching are different procedures for different purposes.

Next spring you will see the old dried up looking stems which are referred to as old wood/old growth. With Pruning 2 clematis once these clematis are established (usually the third year in the ground) you will look at the old growth and see where there are green leaf buds coming and prune back to the highest part of the stem that has those leaf buds. Then cut off anything above that. Or cut it lower to shape it if it is getting too unruly or tall. If you cut it to 12 inches you may not get the early spring bloom and a chance for a second bloom. But you will still get a full bloom just a bit later.

In my Z:4 garden most P:2 clematis die close to the ground because of our harsh winters. They still grow well just bloom a bit later. We rarely get a second bloom as the frosts come early though there may be a bloom or two throughout the later summer and early fall.

Hope this helps ease your stress over growing clematis. Patience is the hardest part of establishing the new plants.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!