Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nakia626

Clematis wilt!?

Nakia626
12 years ago

I am completely new at this, but have watched my grandmother plant and grow MASSIVE clematis over the years and wanted to give it a go.

I planted mine beside the house, mulched it, watered it, and it seemed to be very happy. Very green, many leaves and lots of buds. The first one opened to a beautiful huge blossom of deep dark red, and I was so excited!

We have had nicredible amounts of rain here in Midcoast Maine this spring and so I havent had to water it bc the rain has been more than enough... When it did start to get warm out, I began watering it regularly.

Then, as if someone turned the lights off, the base turned a very very dark brown, got hard, and the base/bottom leaves followed suit. the further up it goes, the greener it gets, BUT- all the leaves, all the buds- EVERYTHING,

have wilted, and turned down, and just seemed to have given up hope. I dead-headed the gone-by blossom, and a few of the brown leaves at the base, and tried to re-adjust it so it could reach the next part of the trellis. Never bending or damaging any of the vine or leaves...

HELP! What have I done or what didnt I do, or... what should I do to fix it! :O(

Comments (2)