Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Clematis? Is ther such a thing?

Posted by tinylady 07 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 8:09

Is there such a thing as a wild clematis? I have this vine that is taking over the side of mt woods. It has a leaf that looks like my clematis and when it blooms the flowers a a small white star shape. It smells wonderfull, but it is taking over everything and it seeds all over. I am asking this question because I could swear that I saw the same thing at a nursurey on a trellis and they said it was a clematis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Clematis? Is ther such a thing?

Yes, there are native Clematis in the USA. There are also cultivated ones that have been spread by birds etc. into wild areas.

o

Is it this one?

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/clematisvirg.html

o

If it is white, blooms in late summer/early fall, and has a fragrance it sounds like sweet autumn clematis. Clematis virginiana blooms have no fragrance. The leaves on SAC are similar to those of a lot of other clematis. The leaves on C. virginiana look more like the leaves on the macropetalas.

o

Sounds like the sweet autumn one. Now how do I tame this thing. It comes up everywhere, yard, trees and other flower beds?

o

SAC is a very aggressive plant and seeds itself quite rampantly. What I have found helps tremendously is to cut the old flowerheads off as the flowers begin to fade. Other than that using roundup to kill them completely is the only alternative that I know of.

o

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I am terribly allergic to SAC. It is beautiful, but a killer for fall allergies.

I am constantly trying to eradicate it, but it can get away from you in no time. The only thing I know as invasive as that is trumpet vine. Also impossible to eradicate. You can cut off your own seed heads, but your neighbors more than likely have them too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here