Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to relocate a clematis

Posted by ishareflowers 5 MA. (oemech4@aol.com) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 8:12

I have a three y/o, very healthy clematis that is hogging up the place I put it. I would like to move it to another location but I don't want to kill it. What is the best way to move this plant without doing damage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to relocate a clematis

The best time to move the clematis would either be early spring when growth is just beginning or in fall early enough that the plant will have 6 or so weeks in its new location before the first hard frost. If you are going to move the plant this fall, it would be helpful if you would take a spade and plunge it in the ground in a circular pattern around the plant perhaps a foot or two out from the plant. This may temporarily set the plant back since you will potentially be cutting the roots but it will make the plant grow more roots in a tighter circle closer to the plant. Then this fall dig a little outside this cirle when you go to lift the plant from the ground. Have your new hole dug and prepped prior to lifting the original plant and plop it into its new home. Keep it watered well going into the fall and mulched well and the plant will be on its way to settling in nicely in its new home. As is always the case, trying to move as much of the rootball is generally the best practice, but if you don't, it will just take the plant that much longer to get settled back in.

o
RE: How to relocate a clematis

I transplanted three clems last year, one came up and the other two did not. When I went to dig in the spot where I put them there was nothing there. Does this seem possible? I keep a journal of where I move my plants so I know where I put them. Could these have rotted in the ground? Any thoughts on this.
Thanks,
Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here