Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
all50

Fungus

all50
9 years ago

I have something that is killing 2 of my clematis, probably clematis wilt, but 2 of my knock out roses and my blue mist caryopteris, my little lime hydrangea are all in trouble too. I also have Scabiosa ,Veronica, lavender, threadleaf coreopsis and salvia that are looking suspicious. They are all in completely different spots and are not new plants. I had boxwood blight last summer which is fungal, but supposedly won't infect anything else. My gardens are usually very healthy. I feed and add compost every year, dress with sweat pest. I am not sure if these plants are all hit with the same thing? There are no signs of bugs, thoughts? [IMG]http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/alineber/ec9fade9fdb4c9fbf356746c82e58a0a_zpsf92ab533.jpg[/IMG]{{gwi:595055}}{{gwi:595057}}{{gwi:595059}}{{gwi:595062}}{{gwi:595064}}{{gwi:595066}}{{gwi:595068}}{{gwi:595070}}{{gwi:595074}}{{gwi:595076}}

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

No, it is not the same thing affecting all your plants :-)) First, most plant pathogens are very host-specific so with the exceptions of some things like powdery mildew, they do not spread wildly throughout the garden. And even PM has umpteen different fungi to which it is attributed, depending on plant type infected.

I doubt this is even a disease issue at all. I'd suspect it was something more cultural at work. Have you had a lot of rainfall this spring? It may just be these photos but everything looks a bit densely planted and wet......and not in a lot of sun. With all the plants you mention, full sun (6+hrs), good drainage and good air circulation are kind of key issues. Any of those need some attention?

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

Wondering if you used Miracle grow fertilizer or something similar.....looks like fertilizer burn......

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

I think last year for me was the year of fungus :(

While I read that different types of fungus are host specific and don't spread to other plants, after last year I'm not 100% convinced it's true. The lighter colored circles with the darker brown ring around them is what I had - on (what seemed like) everything. Cercospora. I see it most clearly in your 6th picture I think.

I tried Daconil. It was like spitting in a fire by that point - did virtually nothing. This year I've been using a horticultural oil with a little fungicide mixed in. I'm very happy with it and so are my plants :)

Good luck.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

While I read that different types of fungus are host specific and don't spread to other plants, after last year I'm not 100% convinced it's true

There is an entire army of plant pathologists out there that would disagree with you :-)) There are literally thousands of different fungal organisms that can cause leaf spot, only one genus of which is Cercospora. And even within that genus, there are several dozen different species that are in themselves host-specific. IOW, Cercospora on one plant type does not necessarily mean it will spread to any other.

And with any fungal pathogen, it is important to remember that fungicides are never curative, only prophylactic in nature. If the problem already exists - you can see the symptoms - then the best you can hope for is to limit the spread to any uninfected foliage. What is already spotted will never be unspotted (or for the rest of that season, if deciduous or herbaceous).

FWIW, in photo number 6 the plant in question is Caryopteris and disease in question is not a fungal issue at all but rather a bacterial problem, Pseudomonas syringae. Much like many of the fungal problems, this is often encouraged by excessive humidity/ too much rain/overwatering. And this IS one pathogen that can affect a very wide range of plant material. But not the lavender, nor the rose, clematis or coreopsis.

And yes, I have studied plant pathology as part of my horticultural degree and I diagnose plant problems on a daily basis as part of my job.

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

Goodness gardengal, I never meant to imply that it wasn't true. Just that after last year for me, it FELT like it wasn't. My hydrangea did in fact have cercospora, which nearly wiped it out. Nothing but bare branches the last three months of the growing season, contrary to what most say that cercospora is generally cosmetic. After the hydrangea, it seemed like there was fungus everywhere - from plants in beds all the way up to annual flowers in hanging baskets. The healthiest, most established plants seemed to be the targets. And it wasn't unusually moist for us either - though I do live near the bay. Anyway, you could say things didn't really go "by the book" for me.

It was just sharing my personal experience, since poor OP seems plagued as well. Sorry if it was misleading.

I really don't care one way or the other about your credentials. Though I am grateful for your regular contributions to this board.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 20:05

• lismari
    9 years ago

Is that verbena I see in one of the pics? Mine look like that when there is a lot of rain or when they're being overwatered..especially when they're planted close together and the air can't circulate. When we've had a lot of rain I always tell my guy NOT to water the plants. Too much water can be as bad (or worse) than too little, in my experience.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA