Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Why I Love Huldine

Carrie B
11 years ago

It was on this forum that I first learned about Huldine. Thank you.

{{gwi:595304}}

{{gwi:595305}}

{{gwi:595306}}

Comments (18)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the lovely photos. Huldine is new for me as well, and has bloomed for the first time this year, and I also think that it is a really special clematis. Can you tell me what the companion clematis in the last photo is?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plantloverkat - I believe that one is Pagoda, though it could be Minuet. I have a tendency to keep planting clematis right next to one another... and then I forget which is which.

Here's a photo of the same stretch of eight adjoining trellises from a few weeks ago.

{{gwi:595307}}

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

Great pictures. I have a Huldine that grows (rampantly) through an huge Agnes rose--nice because Agnes blooms once in early spring, then becomes a natural trellis for the Huldine. Your pics capture the fine special features of this clematis, specifically the underside of the flower. Thanks for posting.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I also have Huldine. I love the way it appears when it first opens with a touch of lavender and then after a few days in the sun, it really turns very white.

Julia

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I have Huldine growing up a purple leaved plum tree so the color combo is great.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

Carrieb, Minuet was my first guess for Huldine's companion. The second photo is also lovely - I think clematis look better when they grow with companions. Some of mine bloom together (which gives a bigger show), and some bloom one after the other (which gives a longer show). Can you tell us what is in the second photo besides Betty Corning?

Buyorsell888, that sounds like a stunning combination. I can imagine it in my head, but do you have a photo that you would be willing to post?

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Huldine isn't mature yet so is scraggly. But you can sort of see the combination I was after.

{{gwi:595309}}

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Buyorsell - love the combo! I wonder if a clematis would work growing up my crepe myrtle.

Plantlover - the larger, light purple one is Perle D'Azur. The dark purple one is (I think) Trikatre. The smaller, bright pink ones could be Barbara Harrington, Kermisiana, or Abundance (if anyone knows, tell me!) I just went through the "C's" in my plant label file. I know that I no longer have quite a few of the clematis I've acquired over the years, but I'm loathe to throw out any labels just in case... Nice ID on Betty!

• gardenbug
    11 years ago

I love my Huldine too. I have it growing along my fence with Jacmanii. Beautiful.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

The smaller bright pinks look like Barbara Harrington to me but it is often hard to tell similar looking ones apart.

I know what you mean about labels. I was just asking on the Hosta forum about some that I had tags for but couldn't identify out in the garden. I keep tags in an alphabetical accordion file. I ended up tossing about twenty tags. Stuff dies....

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Buyorsell - Alphabetical accordion file, eh?

{{gwi:595311}}

• ditas
    11 years ago

Ooooh la la Huldine!!!

A compulsive hoarder of plant tags, recpts etc since mid-1980s ~ I keep mine in 5" ring binder picture album sleaves - each dated w/garden site ID. Aso have as thick a hand-written garden journal w/ diagrams of each bed ~ now (past few yrs) TG for computer & picasa ~ added pictorial journals etc (don't ask about this pls)! LOL
    Am I an OC gardener do you think?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ditas - you are definitely OC. Think we can meet halfway somewhere? I'd like to get closer to where you are!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Carrieb ~ I'm getting a bit better ~ I have eased on updating diagrams on graphing sheets, just add sheets & update in *words* any changes in each bed &&& journal isn't as copiously detailed ~ no longer daily entered either!!! Actually TIME isn't as plentiful, is why & Father Time refuses my nagging requests to change the 12 on the clock to 14 or even 16. So there, no need for a Psych couch to cure garden OC-ness I can get better just talking to garden critters & obedient lovelies ~ scolding the way-ward ones out there in *My Oasis under Iowas Skies*!!!

Just having fun after cleaning up all spent (aromatic) sprigs of blooms around Scarborough Fair bed!!!

FWIW!

• ditas
    11 years ago

I was in search of a Clem that would be a vigorous climber & after reading a few, perhaps Huldine might fill the bill.

I have 4 still in containers & temp site to study which would climb the highest ~ Elsa S, Com. de Bouchaud, Asao, & HH (Pink Chiffon) none of the 4 showed me that they could do what I'm looking for.

I had SAC that did the job very well, but gets too messy after th blooms ~ seeds scatters all over, so I relocated her. I tempr'ly replaced w/ Pink Chiffon (in a 3+gal container) but didn't quite make it to crawl up over a makeshift trellis. It's a sunny site & need a climber to shade a bit a Forever & Ever Hydrangea & keep the Humming Bird who has taken the trellis as his station these couple of years & would like to encourage it (Have a feeder hanging on the trellis).

Wonder if anyone has another Idea ~ referably a color to go or contrast w/ Chelone in that bed as well! TIA

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

Ditas, I wouldn't necessarily rule out any of your Clem's based on your test. As is well known around here it takes a few years for a clematis to really take off. It's not a fair test basing it on plants still in nursery pots and from one season. Remember, sleep, creep, leap.
    That being said I think out of the plants you mentioned Huldine will be the most vigorous. I have him and HH and CDB. All first year plants. I am most impresses with HH. She has bloomed ALL SUMMER. I have her in almost all day sun with very little fading. She is growing into a pee gee hydrangea standard. I've gotten MANY complements and even though we've had drought like weather I have barely watered her and not fertilized her this yr and she has taken off. Next year I will give her the attention she deserves.
    But still, Huldine will be bigger I am pretty sure and just as pretty :)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

Here's a pic of her in the pee gee tree from today. It's a young tree so I have a feeling this 1st yr Hagley Hybrid will get too big soon. She bloomed very heavily up the base of the tree early summer and now late summer she is in the top of the tree (not as many but still looking great). I have had blooms at all times this summer. Very little attention given. I almost moved her bc I read that she fades badly in full sun and likes shade. I had planted her before I read that. I am glad I didn't bc she seems really happy and the fading is mininimal. You can see it in the pics :)
    {{gwi:595313}}
    {{gwi:595315}}

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Hagley Hybrid isn't very big for me but she has root competition from trees. Looks lovely in that hydrangea.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm