Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

Arctic Queen Clematis 'Evitwo' question...

Julie
12 years ago

Hi there-

I just purchased this clemmie not only for it's beautiful double white blooms, but it's new very healthy looking new growth is a stunning golden chartreuse!!

I tried to research this on the web- but everything says green foliage.

The new vines are robust, not under or over watered or fed- very healthy!

Does any one grow this clemmie? Has any one seen this before? Is this a normal occurance for this plant?

Thanks for your help!

Julie

Comments (11)

• alina_1
    12 years ago

I would not say it is normal. Sounds like chlorosis to me, but pictures would be helpful.
    AQ has dark green foliage (I have two of them).

• Julie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks- Look for a pic tonight!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

The foliage is not supposed to be chartreuse.

There is one chartreuse/golden foliaged Clematis and it is 'Stolwijk Gold'

Here is a link that might be useful: stolwijk gold

• Julie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice link! Thank you for that.
    I did check out the verbage on yellowing there- and the closest I could pair up with this beauty I purchsed is the unusuall weather patterns we have been having this spring.
    Thanks again for your help!

• Julie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are the images-
    Click-able thumbnails

{{gwi:595460}}

The whole package.

{{gwi:595462}}

New growth a very healthy looking golden chartreuse with good substance. The older growth leaves are green.

{{gwi:595464}}

Even the buds have a healthy lighter appearance.

After seeing this- what do you think?

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

I have Arctic Queen, and the leaves are yellowing now. It also doesn't bloom well for me. I guessing here, but I think it's because of my alkaline soil. Someone here mentioned that some clematis don't do as well in an alkaline soil because they can't uptake nutrients well, so they should be fertilized with an acidic fertilizer. I bought some fertilizer for evergreens and azaleas. I'm hoping it works because it really is a beauty.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

On one of the older leaves in particular I saw darker veins. This is a sign of chlorosis. Most likely an iron or magnesium deficiency. All that pale new growth seems to lack nitrogen too. That plant screams I'm sick to me not I'm healthy buy me....sorry....

A quick burst of liquid Miracle Gro Acid fertilizer in the blue and gray box not the yellow and green is in order. Used to be called MirAcid, think they changed the name. It has chelated iron, magnesium and will help lower the ph a bit. It works fast.

No plant can take up nutrients properly in really alkaline soil. Some plants just adapt better than others. I can see iron chlorosis on a lot of plants as I drive around in Phoenix and other SW cities without even looking. Especially those in public landscapes that are often butchered into submission and grossly overwatered. It was the first plant "disease" I learned in horticulture class as I went to school in Phoenix.

If you know you have alkaline soil and are planting Clems or anything else that gets chlorotic I'd work in a bunch of peat and compost to help in addition to using acid fertilizer.

MirAcid is good for a short term fix but long term it is best to improve soil rather than shoving a lot of fast food at the plants :)

• alina_1
    12 years ago

Agree. Severe case of chlorosis. I use Iron Plus to correct such situations. My soil is slightly acidic, but after heavy rains it is not unusual for plants here to have iron or magnesium deficiency.

• Julie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so very much! I will certianly bow to your most excellent knowledge and familiarity with this plant, even though I was surely hoping to have found a rare new treasure!
    I have other clemmies- and rich, well draining black sandy soil which is great for many plants, and I tend to top dress good homemade compost- so I think my soil will be ok for it to live on in- but- do you think will could become healthy enough soon enough to withstand our cold zone 4 winter? Is chlorosis something that can be remidied in (sad to say it) 1/2 a growing season?
    It really has amazing substance to the leaves! The flowers are long lasting- no bud drop...
    Do you think I should return the plant (I can easily get my money back for it having purchased it a few days ago)? There are no others like it to swap it out....
    It is quite pretty...

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

Julie, there is plenty of time before winter. I've planted clematis right before it snows and they survive.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

I would say that chlorosis is very easy to cure. Usually, I can see the improvement within one week after applying the iron supplements. If you want a faster result, the water solution of chelated iron supplements can be sprayed on the foliage or both soil application and spraying can be done at the same time.

It is quite common for potted plants because nutrients are very easy to wash off. It is definitely not a deal breaker and a significant reason for return.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm