Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pump_toad

I decided I want to try a type 2 with big flowers

pump_toad
14 years ago

In walking around town the last few weeks I have seen such big,beautiful clematis. I have mostly type 3 and I do like them very much but am longing for a large flower also.

I prefer a light shade of lavender so .....suggestions please.

Lois

Comments (10)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Lois..so glad to read that now you have become more confident with growing clematis that you want to venture into the pruning group 2's!!.."Ramona","Mrs. Cholmondeley", "Elsa Spath","Teshio","Will Goodwin" and "Lady Caroline Nevill" come to mind...Jeanne

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne,
    Thanks for your quick reply. I would like to ask one more question on what your personal choice would be. I value your opinion although I know there are others with many differing opinions. I have asked some of the people here it town what the name of their clematis is and they say-I have no idea.
    Lois

• summermusicz4ia
    14 years ago

Lois, Both Ramona & Elsa Spath are excellent here. In my gardens (same zone as yours) Elsa has been blooming for weeks, has new buds & blooms opening. Would rank her #1 for length of bloom time in the lavender blues and the flowers are huge. Enjoy both of these clems very much.
    My local HV had both of these recently and saw Elsa at either Lowes or H Depot so you would be able to acquire either of these easily at a reasonable price.
    Marlene

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Lois..all those I mentioned are favs of mine...the first three are the most vigorous and floriferious...Jeanne

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I don't have Ramona, Mrs. C was one that emerged late in season (planted last yr), Elsa Spath (planted last yr) has been knocking my socks off! HUGE blooms, beautiful changing from new to old blooms & has been in bloom since 6/2 & still today. With as many buds she has on her, I will say she will bloom for at least another 2-3 weeks. Needless to say, I'm impressed. I was taking pictures of her just recently w/ old & new blooms & have a pic of my hand next to 1 of the blooms for comparison of size. If you're interested, I can post them for you.

There is another forum that I just started reading & they have a thread about dud type 2's & unfortunately Will Goodwin is on it. New to me last year as well, it seems to be doing pretty good contrary to what others are mentioning. It still hasn't bloomed just yet, but could be root size which I can't recall the differences of.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

A darker shade of purple not light lavender but Daniel Deronda is my longest blooming Type II with big flowers. It blooms much longer than Ramona for me. It started before Ramona and is still blooming while Ramona is done.

• flowergirl70ks
    14 years ago

I love Elsa, but after 8 years she is totally black with the wilt. Who knows why? I would buy her again in a heartbeat. Pumptoad, did your Polish Spirit ever bloom? I actually have 11 flowers open this morning. This is the 4th year. Last year I think she had all of 3 flowers. I like it, but don't know why she is such a shy bloomer here.

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flowergirl,
    I am finally giving up on my Polish Spirit as this is either year 4 or 5 with NO blooms. I can't figure it out as I used Rose Tone earlier in the season and it is growing green leaves beautifully but I want flowers!
    I am planning on doing a new post on this as I don't know if I should replant in another spot or discard it. Maybe I will get advise,
    I am thinking Elsa but am not sure I can find it this late in the season.
    Lois

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

I believe Rhapsody is a Type II and it has done well here. It is in a half sun bed and has reached 5' in about 3 years. It is probably my favorite color of any flower I grow.

{{gwi:586776}}

{{gwi:595801}}

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhapsody is one beautiful clematis. I saw a pot somewhere early this summer but it was not it bloom. I know I was tempted looking at the picture on tag but I wasn't looking for type II then. Darn!
    Lois

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists