Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madame Baron-Veillard

Posted by janetpetiole 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 9:48

Does anyone grow this clematis?

I bought it because it is reported to bloom late in the growing season, but mine is producing buds already, which make me wonder if it's Madame-Baron-Veillard or something else. Maybe Comtesse de Bouchaud?

While I'll be able to ID it in a couple of weeks, I was wondering if anyone else grows Madame-Baron-Veillard and has seen it bloom earlier than normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madame Baron-Veillard

I have grown it and it's beautiful. I've also had 3 die over the winter, unfortunately, and it looks like I'm a zone ahead of you.

I would think it unlikely that you see buds on this one just yet unless it was greenhouse raised and you planted it this year? Otherwise the buds form later.

o

Planted late fall 2 years ago. Much of it wilted last year, so I only saw a few flowers, which were promptly destroyed by earwigs. It didn't occur to me at the time that it had bloomed too early.

Considering you lost so many MB-V's I guess I'm glad I don't have it.

How is your garden doing - have you had any flooding?

o

I have it and it's blooming now. It does seem early this year. This is my oldest clematis, it was here when we moved here 41 years ago. It's very vigorous, it is at least 8' this year.

o

mine is in third year and I have had very little bloom last year - too much shade and blooms late- like September for me. I moved it to sunnier area and it going strong but no blooms yet or even buds.

o

Thanks for the input, Linda.

I read somewhere that Madame Baron Veillard needs to be in full sun so the stems can ripen. I confess to not really knowing what that means. Regardless, I hope your MBV blooms well this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here