Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloom and prune advice

Posted by auntlavender Chicago/Zone5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 10:09

From this forum I've learned to prune newly planted clemmies (my group 2's) down to the first set of shoots in the spring (for the first three years, right?) so the roots have the opportunity to get really well developed, and then to prune it hard again immediately after blooming to enforce the process instead of letting it expand above ground..

I've been following this procedure with my warsaw nike, and it's almost in full bloom right now (and looking fab). Do I prune again after bloom this year even though it's a 4-year old? How do I treat it differently now that it's been through the double pruning procedure three times?

Also, planted Ramona this year, let her bloom (couldn't resist), and she's done, should I follow same procedure for her (prune to about 6 inches?)

And one more question for you, if I want to propagate by pinning and burying shoots in the ground to make their own roots, what time of year do I do this? Now? Fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloom and prune advice

I don't hard prune mine for the 1st 3 full years in my gardens but do the first year after they are in my gardens and AGAIN on any that are puny one-vine wonders to force more vines..I stopped hard pruning my Ramona after year two and she is now about 11 feet tall and still blooming..some suggest pruning by half after first bloom cycle but LET IT BE KNOWN if you prune a pruning group 2 that it will lose some blooms that are due in late Summer/early Fall EXCEPT for the B2 which bloom on both old and new vines..You can propagate via "Layering" anytime of the year....if you have a short growing season early Spring might be best for you to get the best results..Jeanne

o
RE: bloom and prune advice

I had very good results cutting back Warsaw Nike, but winter came on so fast the peak of the second flush was damaged by a hard frost. Still, they survived many light freezes and I loved seeing those beautiful blooms so late in the season.

I would layer them now and leave until next spring when they emerge from the ground. Don't let the soil dry out, but don't let them get soggy either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here