Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly planted Clematis

Posted by SVTterminator 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 10:24

New to this forum and fairly new gardener here. I planted two Clematis that are growing on a two trellis.

When first planted they had deep purple flowers and now all the flowers are gone.

Is this transplant shock? Some of the leaves look like they are drying up. I've been watering them pretty much everyday(non-rain days).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly planted Clematis

Attached a pic of the 2nd clematis

o

Clematis vines takes a couple of years to really flourish. The pictures of some of the clematis in bloom in the forum here are from vines that are many years old. Your plants are just fine. Just keep watering them at least once a week. I also recommend some putting some mulch or planting some perennials close to their roots to keep it cool.

o

New clematis often come with only one or two vines/stems. Many choose to wait until the buds have bloomed and then cut the vines back to encourage more stems to grow from the crown and to let the plant use its energy to establish its root system in the ground.

If you don't cut them back you may get a few random blooms. Better to cut it back IMHO.

I think that you are watering too much. Water just enough to keep the soil moist. Adding mulch will help keep the soil moist longer and the roots cool.

o

There is nothing wrong. cut them back now and reduce watering. they do not need need daily watering.

o

Thanks so much everyone. I'm happy to hear that and have stepped back on watering. Will add some mulch to the area!

o

I'm glad I found this thread! I am famous for killing clematis simply by planting them. I don't know how much I've spent on clematis over my lifetime, but it's a lot. Ever the optimist, I planted two more this spring, and they are still alive, and growing, but they are very thin and spindly. There is a lot of room between leaves. I am tempted to cut them back, and this thread makes it seem as though that would be a good idea, but when? Now? Wait until spring? To make matters worse, I have lost the tags which would tell me (and you) what kind of clematis these are. They are different from each other, and that's all I know.

So. When do I cut, and how far back?

o

I cut mine back a few inches above the ground usually right after I plant them. If they have buds on them I'll let them bloom and then I cut them down.

o

Cut them back. Do it now.

Alfalfa pellets work great to encourage more vines up from the buried crowns.

You did bury the crowns didn't you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here