Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigim_gw

Kilian Donahue in right location?

gigim
10 years ago

I planted a tiny Kilian Donahue Clematis (type 2) that I purchased from Blue Stone about 3 weeks ago (it is about 4"tall with 4 or 5 stems coming from the ground). My concern is that it will not get enough sun to bloom as right now it is only getting about 3 hours, as the season progresses I hope there will be more as the sun moves across the summer sky. It is planted in my herb garden, at the wall with a trellis for support - where all the herbs are happy and healthy (photo) eastern exposure.

I thought I would leave it and see how we do for a season or two and move only if it would not bloom. My concern is that although it looks healthy it has not gotten any larger in 3 weeks. I know that root growth is what I want this first (and perhaps next)season but expected to see more top growth (even if I had to cut it back)

Is my plan to leave it and see how it does for 2 seasons a good idea as long as it looks healthy? It has been raining most days for all these weeks so perhaps that is decreasing the sun it is getting as well. The only thing I amended it with at planting time was bone meal as the soil is good.

Thank you for any advice, I really hope it will thrive and bloom there.

Comments (2)