Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killed clematis by pruning?

Posted by denidill 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 10:47

Hello,
Is it possible I could kill a clematis by pruning too late in spring? I have a clematis (group C) that was pruned VERY late. It was definitely alive when pruned ... I could see green growth... but now I see no signs of life. I am in zone 3 and we've had a cold spring with many late plants, so perhaps it still might show up. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killed clematis by pruning?

It is almost impossible to kill Clematis by pruning. Clematis benefit from pruning and can be cut back at any time during active growing season. If nothing else happened to your Clematis, it it will definitely come back.

The combination of cold weather + rains + poor drainage can cause a crown rot which is fatal in most cases. If you will not see any growth, dig the rootball and examine it. Read the Gardengal's post about inspecting the roots in 'Clematis wilt' post.

o

Quoting Clematis author Linda Buetler:

"Clematis cannot read or count. They do not know in which pruning group they are"

"you cannot kill a clematis by pruning it"

o

thanks ... I will dig down and see what is happening. I thought I had good drainage, but maybe not. Oh, loved the 'clematis cannot read or count". Hahaha!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here