Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photographing your clematis

Posted by nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 10:55

I'm looking for hints to improve my clematis photos. Many of my clems are in the blue-purple range, which is notorious for photographing inaccurately, but if you have any tricks that may help, I'd love to hear them. I haven't been able to get one that looks remotely like its actual color.

In reality, this'Stolwijk Gold' has flowers that are more steely blue (little to no pink) and really gold foliage with less green to it.

From May 25, 2011

In reality 'Daniel Deronda' is much bluer, while 'Miguel Viso' (lower left, paler flower) is edged in rosy purple, a bit less blue.

From June 5, 2012

'The President' is really blue-purple.

From June 5, 2012

Any suggestions for how to adjust my camera, light levels (these were all taken either on an overcast day or in the evening) for optimum color accuracy, or what camera you use? I use a relatively ancient Epson 3000Z digital camera.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photographing your clematis

This is a very complex subject. Your camera and lens faithfully record the image and the imaging time is fine, such that glare is minimal. Your digital camera sensor does not record what you actually see and your TV monitor and printer record colors differently. Also the sensor under records the saturation or richness of colors (deep blue of Deronda) and this needs to be corrected in photo editing. Your computer, monitor and printer all work in different languages. This is not a problem for most computer functions, but for color photography, these components need to be calibrated, so colors are accurately represented, otherwise you must make color correction adjustments while photo editing. The test, of course, is to take the print out and compare it with the actual flower. This is why we have so many problems with images from various sources, including COTW.

o

I think this looks like a reliable color on The President, and all I did was point and shoot (using the macro setting)

o

Uh oh.
I think I must have that clem mis-labelled.
Hmmm....Anybody know who my The President really is?
As I said the picture is quite accurate, but looking at other pictures I see that it's not TP.

o

Nope, it is not TP. :) sorry, don't know who it is.

o

Thanks and Darn....

o

The technology on that camera is ancient at this point. You'd be amazed at what a difference a mediocre affordable digital camera would make.

I recommend checking amazon, good prices and reviews. You could also check their daily lightning deals for incredible savings.

I'm sure you'll find something in any price range.

Just my opinion, I'm kind of a techy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here