Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddlehikeva

Huldine and Multi-blue dead?

paddlehikeva
14 years ago

I have a Huldine and multi-blue which were planted on the same pole two years ago. If you look closely at the photo below, you can see them in the far left of the photo below which was taken exactly one year ago. The stems of both of these clematis died suddenly all the way to the crown. Are they likely to recover? I have had wilt problems before, but this seems different.

{{gwi:597263}}

Also, is anyone else in the Mid-Atlantic experiencing less than stellar performance of clematis? I have three that have yet to break dormancy. The growth on others has been slower than normal. I have several that have yet to produce a decent looking bloom. What's up?

Kathy

Comments (5)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Fertilize and Continue watering those areas for they will most likely return..have you had a drier than normal period?...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

If you planted them deeper than they were in the pots when you planted them they are likely to recover.

Clematis can be very frustrating. They can take years to get going.

• pump_toad
    14 years ago

I have a Huldine that was a 2 year old plant last summer and was not doing well as it kept dying back near the ground. I don't know if I did the right thing or not but I kept cutting it back and this summer it's growing like crazy so don't give up on it.
    Lois

• paddlehikeva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne,

We had a very dry summer/fall followed by an early (and long) extremely dry and cold winter. Spring has been closer to what I would consider normal as far as precipitation is concerned. We have also had what I would consider as large temperature swings this spring. First it would be unusually cold and then it would be unusually warm. I lost about a dozen roses in addition to the clematis which have not come up yet.

BOS I did plant them deeper, but I have a HUGE problem with my clematis heaving even when planted deeply.

Pumpr_toad, Huldine had been a top performer from the time I planted in the ground. It makes me sad that it is not in full bloom right now.

Kathy

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I would blame the weather more than the clems.

By the way it sounds from your initial post is that they were hard pruned early spring & started to grow & then died back? With the description of your weather it sounds as though the tender growth couldn't keep up with the cold temps you were experiencing. Did you leave the Multiblue unpruned? How many stems coming up from each? When they were actively growing, what was the lowest temp they encountered?

Unless they developed root rot, which does not sound like what is going on for you, they will grow back. The longer in the ground the quicker they will do so. Being 2 yrs old, it might take a bit to see anything coming up. My experience: I whacked them all to soil level this spring, old & new. The ones that had a bigger root system when planted & the older ones popped up a lot quicker. Location also made a difference. If the sun was warming up the soil, the smaller root system ones popped up next & then finally the ones that have had their roots shaded.