Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Rooguchi Clematis on Obelisk Trellis?

Posted by thegardenat902 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 11:43

Hi there. I have an odd question for you guys I am hoping you can answer! :) Lets see if I can word this correctly.

I am getting two rooguchi clematis in the next few days and want to grow them on two large obelisk trellises. I know that rooguchi clematis do not have tendrils that wrap around the bars, so I am wondering if I should plant them in the center of the obelisk so they will grow up the center and have the obelisk to help hold them up?

This makes more sense to me than growing it on the outside and winding it through the obelisk trellis. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience trying something like this?

To me it makes more sense but I've never grown a clematis without tendrils so i don't have any experience.

Attached is a picture of the obelisk trellis from the seller. They are about 7 feet tall. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Rooguchi Clematis on Obelisk Trellis?

Growing up the center should work for these, though you may need to tuck stems in, or alternatively wrap X's of fishing line or black wire between the lower several rings to keep the stems from escaping and flopping.

o

That's what I was thinking! Thanks for your help.

o

• Posted by maet z5 NL, Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 16:50

I'm growing Arabelle up the center of a obelisk and using the clips that I posted in a previous post to keep the vine growing up. They have reached the top now and have buds peeking out the top of the obelisk. Should be interesting to see what happens once they are higher than the obelisk. maybe I'll get the vines to wrap around or hang down.

o

Oh I'd love to see a picture if you have one!

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 8:39

Here is my Arabella. It will probably grow taller than my obelisk. The obelisk is only 4 feet and I plan on getting a taller one next year if needed. it has reached the top and started to send shoot out thru the sides.
I used plant clips to guide it up the obelisk and they worked really well.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 8:42

Vine coming out the top of the obelisk.

o

That looks great!! This gives me lots of hope that mine will look pretty. :o) And those buds are gorgeous!

o

Since Clematis are often purchased in tiny pots and grow slowly the first couple years it is often hard to plan for mature size.

Arabella will outgrow that pot and obelisk!

Looks really nice now though :)

o

Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 19:16

Yes I figured it will outgrow the pot and obelisk altho its is only suppose to be around 4-6 ft. I already have a much larger pot and it looking for a 6 ft obelisk.
It must be very hardy because I overwintered it in a smaller pot by the side of my shed. I did throw something over it but I was surprised at how quick it started to sprout when I brought it into the greenhouse.

o

That's wonderful that it overwintered in zone 5! I have wanted to grow clematis in pots but was afraid they wouldn't survive.

o

Many if not most, Clematis are hardy to zone 3

The evergreen ones and montanas aren't though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here