Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19796976

My first Clematis bloom ever - Jackmanii

User
9 years ago

Hello, I'm a first time Clematis owner. I've looked at them in the stores for years, and this year finally went for it and planted 2. Then a third. Then a fourth for good measure. :)

The first two I planted were Jackmanii and Cardinal Wyszynski. For mother's day I had my husband hang two trellises on the side of our house and I strung them with twine after I realized the plants needed smaller surface to climb on. They've been growing well, and just the other day the Jackmanii burst open with some blooms even though it's only a couple of feet tall. What a beauty.
I'm quite excited about those two clematis in that spot because it's been a bare tall wall and it's the wall you see as you drive up our hill. I think finally there will be something interesting there for people to enjoy as they approach our home.

Even before the first blooms showed though, I was hooked and went back for two more clematis - Piilu which is in a huge container on my patio, and Guernsey Cream, which is in my backyard along a lattice fence.
No blooms on them yet, they're just growing and seem happy. I'll keep my fingers crossed they continue to do well in their new homes.
So hello from a new Clematis fan!

Comments (10)

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

that is beautiful, congrats and enjoy!

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Welcome to the addictive world of clematis! Yours are gorgeous.

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Isn't it exciting? You won't be able to quit. I started slow but now have 27!( and I was mainly interested in Roses!)
    roseberri

• gardenper
    9 years ago

During these next few weeks, be sure to check Home Depot and Lowes . They may be clearancing some of their spring bulbs, including any remaining clematises (in the form of plugs or bare root). It may be iffy if it will grow but you do have a 1-year guarantee from both places. If you don't even see any growth within a few weeks, go ahead and return it for refund (the clematis plug that has been sitting in the bags shouldn't take more than a few weeks to start showing growth if it is still viable for this year).

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent tip about Lowes and Home Depot! I will be sure to keep my eyes open for that.

It always makes me sad in June when the garden centers start clearancing already. Feels too soon, even though I know the conditions will soon be too hot on new plant friends in the yard.
    But I have lots more space along my fence and in some corners for more clematis. :)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I love your blooms already. This is my second year of gardening and I have 4 clematis already (2 Diamantina, one Nelly Moser, and one Horn of Plenty) and two True-Blue on the way. I can't get enough. I don't doubt I'm going to have 27 someday. :o)

• christy51274
    9 years ago

I'm a first-time Clematis grower, as well. I'm pretty much a newbie gardener with about two years of experience (thank God for the Internet, especially this forum). Anyway, I bought a Niobe Clematis and the blooms are gorgeous. I really love the blue one in your photo.

I think I planted mine too far from the trellis, so I have it hanging on twine tied to the trellis. Didn't think to add more twine vertically and horizontally to the trellis.

Looking forward to some more of your photos!

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Welcome to the world of Clematis! Jackmani is one of my most trustworthy Clems, you can't go wrong with it. Just water, feed and it repays you. Every year they get bigger and better. Enjoy!

• Mandyvilla
    9 years ago

I am so envious! I bought a Jackmani bare root and potted it up and then poof, it was gone. But, I kept providing care and now have a pair of very small leaves. (it's in my "hospital" - some morning son, then filtered light for the rest of the day).....we'll see, it could be a pampered weed. But, I am impatient and bought a Sweet Autumn after hearing so many great things. It's thriving and looks like nothing is going to stop it from being the monster it has a reputation for being.

I've fallen in love with vines of many kinds, but can see Clematis becoming a favorite. (That red is beautiful, too).

• mmd4
    9 years ago

Sharing a picture of my Sweet Autumn with you. I cut it down to about 6 inches in the spring. The vanilla smell is delightful!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner