Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcinpa_gw

Newbie to Clematis, what should I plant?

kcinpa
14 years ago

I really want to grow clematis, they are just gorgeous! Can I do so in acidic soil? The two ares I am thinking of planting it has approx 5hrs of afternoon sun. The one area would need a smaller growth plant (4-6 feet tall), the other area can easily support a plant on a trellis about 8-10 feet high.

I prefer white and yellow flowers. We have far too much pink, purple, and red in this yard. House is a blue/gray color.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• kcinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and where is the best place to buy clematis? I live near Longwood Gardens- there are so many nurserys here I just don't even know where to start!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Yes, you can grow them in acidic soil.

Helios is a smaller yellow. There aren't very many yellows. None with the big star shaped flowers are yellow.

There are lots of whites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helios

• kcinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and what is a good price for Clematis? I have seen prices all over the place online from $7 to $15. Are the $15 really that much better? Or is it all the same?

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Around here, $12-$15 for a gallon size pot is reasonable, but I will pay more if it's a clematis I really want. The most I've spent locally is $24 for a gallon sized pot.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I would look locally before buying online.

I have paid from $9.99-$19.99 for gallon sized Clematis locally.

IF you shop at big box stores, know that many are mislabeled.

When looking at a group of potted Clems, choose the one with the most stems coming from the crown.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Actually, I have been very lucky with buying from the big box stores! I haven't had 1 misidentified so far. If that makes you nervous I would wait til you see it in bloom before buying. They are also growing like gangbusters here this spring where some of the nursery purchased ones are lagging. I did have a misidentified bought at a local nursery...selling the clems in a box. I think the most notorious beginners clematis is Polish Spirit. Tool around on the link I have provided to get info. They do have a section selected for 'beginners' which consists of all easy growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Have fun looking!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I saw a blooming 'Pink Flamingo' three weeks ago or so at Home Depot labeled 'Ruby'. I purchased a 'Blue Bird' a couple years ago and it was correctly labeled. It wasn't in bloom when I bought it.

I've seen an entire table of blooming 'Piilu' mislabeled at Lowe's but I can't remember what they were marked.

I've had trouble with bulbs from Costco, Wal*Mart and Home Depot not being correctly labeled. I did just get lucky and the Wal*Mart packaged Peony I bought on a whim because it was two bucks was correctly labeled. It finally bloomed today.

I tend to see mis marked blooming plants at big box stores often so I mostly now only buy them when in bloom. You can get bargains there, especially on some of the expensive stuff like Proven Winners shrubs.

I did hand two dwarf Rhododendrons to a clerk at a local independent garden center recently that were mis-marked.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I guess mislabeling goes on everywhere, especially with bulbs, plants in a box, etc. ANYWHERE! because they seem to be the same companies. I learned my lesson on those & will always buy from a reputable bulb dealer to get what I want & will never buy a plant in a box ever again.

I worked in a nursery for several years & can see how mislabeling can happen. Hired help doing this just as a job & not a passion will cause these types of mistakes.

Thank goodness they all are willing to take back mislabeled products, including the big box stores, so the only thing you are out is the valuable time of establishment.

• kcinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice and links! Love that yellow one you posted!

I looked at the Clematis Society website and found a mail order nursery on their Buyer's guide that is a few miles from my home. I think I'm going to order through them, because they will deliver locally (aka drive it over to my house rather than mail it across town), which should prevent receiving a mislabeled plant.

But if I see any super cheap clematis with no real label on them at a big box store, I will probably buy them too. I have always wanted to grow clematis- I could see myself quickly becoming addicted to this plant. lol

• cohouser
    14 years ago

Speaking of mislabeling, I recently found a pretty cherry-red-blooming clem at Denver's largest and best-known (and most expensive) nursery, labeled Jackmanii. Everywhere I've checked online, Jackmanii is purple.

Kcinpa, it sounds like it's too late for you -- clematis already have you hooked. They are highly addictive; this is only my second year of growing them, and I've become a wild-eyed obsessive raving maniac. My sympathies. :o)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

It certainly can happen anywhere including from mail order nurseries. I just find it more often at big box stores though their prices are usually low enough to justify the risk ;)

our local Fred Meyer stores have had lovely quart sized Clemmies on sale for $7.99 that Gardengal helped grow in her previous job and all of them that I've seen blooming were correctly marked. I grabbed Alba Luxurians and a Piilu for a friend.

Lowe's had Piilu in their ad last week but I didn't go there and see if they were right.

Clematis are addictive. I looked around my yard this morning where I have about twenty blooming and wonder where else can I cram more? There are about forty not blooming.