Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wisteria as clematis support....

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 12:11

A few years ago I decided to try growing some Henryi clematis into our Chinese wisteria 'tree' to provide some floral interest after the wisteria spring flush of flowers finishes and before the secondary summer bloom of the wisteria. Until this year the clematis has only produced a few flowers - I doubt the clematis will ever produce an overwhelming show but this is the first year that it has produced more than just a couple of flowers in the upper part of the 'tree'.

The flowers are most easily visible at the base of the 'tree' but are also now scattered throughout the top too.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

A closer view of some in the top - it's too bad that the rachis of the wisteria flowers (the central stem of the flowers) hasn't dropped off yet so it's a bit messy-looking!

A Piilu clematis growing into a hydrangea near the south side of the wisteria appears to be testing out the wisteria as additional territory for it to colonize:

So, while it's taken a few years for the Henryi clematis to bulk up in the wisteria, I'm quite happy with it and am looking forward to potentially a bigger show from the clematis in the future as it continues to mature and colonize its wisteria companion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wisteria as clematis support....

Thanks for sharing examples of how a clematis can be used with shrubs/trees. I am thinking of adding Fleuri to my Limelight hydrangea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here