Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenecstasy

I just wanted to share

gardenecstasy
10 years ago

Clematis seem to be one of the most difficult plants to propagate for me so I decided to try air layering for the first time back in April on my Clematis montana var. Wilsonii.

{{gwi:598570}}

-The process basically involved spray-painting a juice bottle ( to block out light)
-removing leaves from a section of vine, stripping parts of stem to the cambium layer.
- covering stripped areas with rooting hormone soaked sphagnum moss and working the stem in to the bottle (with a hole drilled on the other side)
-finally packing the bottle with a potting mix and hanging attaching it on the trellis.

I had initially intended to wait more than 3 months but I got a little impatient
{{gwi:598571}}

there were three sections to the Pom juice bottle I had hoped would develop roots; the top had gnats but the other two had roots and little nodes developing shoots for new stems so i cut it into two to get two new plants.
{{gwi:598572}}

{{gwi:598573}}

I just thought I'd post this on here as I'm sure they're others who like me can never have too many of their favorite clematis varieties.

This post was edited by GardenEcstasy on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 12:32