Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis as cut flowers

Posted by wendyb 5A/MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 13:12

I once had Hagley Hybrid in a vase and recall that it lasted a huge amount of time in the vase. But since then I have occasionally snipped some for a vase and I don't think they lasted too long.

Is there a secret to cutting them? i.e. some number of nodes back. Or are some cultivars better in a vase than others?

please share your cut flower experience for clematis.

I usually add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to my cut water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis as cut flowers

Just tried using clematis in a vase this year. All of them lasted over a week . . . just snipped them and put in water. Gillian Blades, Blue Ravine, Harlow Carr, Betty Corning, Huldine and another one that might be Niobe are the ones I used. Have some new ones blooming now so I'll see how they do.

o
RE: clematis as cut flowers

To make any cut flowers last longer bleach your vases out between uses and change the water daily. Give the stems a fresh cut with a sharp knife daily too. Scissors and pruners smash the cells that take up water. Don't hammer woody stems either despite what Martha says, she is giving very old advice.

Using commercial floral preservatives at the directed strength will be beneficial but folk remedies such as aspirin and seven up aren't.

Commercial floral preservatives contain anti bacterial ingredients and nutrients but in the wrong ratio to water they can be worse than not using at all. Many florists still don't know this and don't measure properly and are actually hastening the death of the flowers they sell.

Sad but true.

(I was a florist for over twenty years and unlike many I actually read my trade publications and attended seminars and paid attention the information coming out of the Ohio State University and Flower Council of Holland)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here